This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2012 11:05 AM by 739791 RSS

SuperCluster or Exadata + Exalogic what is best?

739791 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We want to upgrade our Oracle database infrastructure and application servers infrastructure. We would like to know if we have an advantage in placing our databases and our application servers in OFM Supercluster to benefit from the internal network between our Bd and our apps server or is it that we are better to have Exadata server for our database and Exalogic server for our apps server.

Thanks a lot!
Mark
  • 1. Re: SuperCluster or Exadata + Exalogic what is best?
    84959 Explorer
    From a database perspective, both SuperCluster or Exadata are a good fit because Exadata servers are the same. Only quantity varies based on the configuration chosen. The decision of picking either SuperCluster or Exalogic for AppTier is usually based on customer experience. If you are a pure SUN/Solaris shop then probably going to SuperCluster is better. However it also depends on the type of applications you are running today. If you have pure Java apps then the optimizations in Exalogic are more beneficial. It also depends on your corporate direction i.e. go to with SPARC or Intel architectures as we basically support both.

Hope this helps..

Regards

Prakash
  • 2. Re: SuperCluster or Exadata + Exalogic what is best?
    739791 Newbie
    Thanks for the answer, it's useful, but if I put my apps server and my database server in the same box, do I have a network advantage with this architecture?

Thanks
    Mark
  • 3. Re: SuperCluster or Exadata + Exalogic what is best?
    84959 Explorer
    Yes putting the apps on Exalogic and database on Exadata or putting both on SuperCluster has its advantages because both App and Database share the same infiniband network infrastructure. Also the Middleware (Weblogic, Coherence,Tuxedo) leverages Infiniband for intra-node communications as well as database calls. The JDBC Driver is also optimized to take advantage of Infiniband (via SDP). If you truly want one box to run Apps+DB and SPARC architecture then SuperCluster is the way to go. If you want separate tier for App and DB and prefer intel architecture then Exalogic+Exadata will be the way. With SuperCluster, you will have to buy basically Exadata also if you need to grow just the app tier. With separate tiers i.e. Exalogic & Exadata, you can grow whichever tier you need to really grow (App or DB).

Regards

Prakash
  • 4. Re: SuperCluster or Exadata + Exalogic what is best?
    84959 Explorer
    If you contact me offline, I can explain you all the technical details of Exalogic/Exadata/SuperCluster and can look at what is the best choice for your environment.

Regards

Prakash Nauduri
  • 5. Re: SuperCluster or Exadata + Exalogic what is best?
    739791 Newbie
    Thanks, it's very helpfull!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points