1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2008 5:27 AM by 630904 RSS

ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

I am attempting to run Oracle 9i Developer Version R2 on a Mac G5 with OS X 10.3.3.

After I installed oracle and created a database I tried to connect to it using sqlplus. After I type userid and passwd (e.g., scot, tiger) I see the error messages:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
      Mac OS X Error: 2: No such file or directory

The database seems to be mounted correctly and the listener is running (IPC). I have followed the various advice on bouncing the database but nothing seems to help. Does anybody who may have experienced the same problem have any thoughts or suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Joachim Hammer
        • 1. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
          Unfortunately, Oracle9i Dev release doesn't work in a G5
          • 2. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
            Great, thanks for the info.

Do you have any ideas if and when Oracle will release a version that does work on a G5? I would imagine the demand is there...

Joachim
            • 3. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
              Ronald Rood
              10g is projected for Q3 2004 and I can't imagine it's not going to run on a G5. I do hope it's also running on a G4 ...

regards,
              Ronald.
              -----------------------
              http://ronr.nl/unix-dba
              • 4. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                Is Q3 the calendar year or Oracle fiscal year? Oracle FY used to start in June, so that would be bad....

(Currently running a Powerbook G4 1GHz as a "server" with Oracle9i and a "client" dual G5 .....)

• 5. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                  This may not be the G5/G4 issue... I've gotten this error on a 32bit Linux system when my ORACLE_HOME is not set properly. If I remember correctly is was because I had used a symbolic link in my ORACLE_BASE path. Check this before giving up.

- Craig
                  • 6. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                    Yes, this error is actually caused by permissions problems. The 9iR2 is a dev release (alpha?). If you log in as oracle (or su - oracle) and run the scripts DBENV and set_ulimits (in the DBCreate directory), this problem wil go away.

BUT it still won't work in the G5. Then you will get a "Invalid floating point operation" that looks like a G5-specific problem.
                    there's a small discussion here:
                    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/27460

contrary to what Metalink says, the Oracle 9iR2 dev release works well in Panther (I have used it in alll versions including 10.3.3), but in a G4.
                    • 7. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                      I am getting the same error:

ERROR:

only when I am logged in as an unix user other than oracle. It works fine when I am logged in as the unix user oracle. I have run DBENV and I still get the error.

• 8. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                        Ronald Rood
                        Could you change the permissions for $ORACLE_HOME/bin/tnslsnr using
                        chmod 6750 tnslsnr
                        and try again (after restarting the listener)
                        The problem had to do with ipc permissions.

regards,
                        Ronald.
                        -----------------------
                        http://ronr.nl/unix-dba
                        • 9. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                          Hi All

I am also getting same Error

I have Oracle 9i Database release 2 installed on Windows 2000 server.

and am accessing this database from using Oracle 9i Application server which also installed on windows 2000 server.

from Oracle documentation I found only this
                          ORA-27101 shared memory realm does not exist
                          Cause: Unable to locate shared memory realm.
                          Action: Verify that the realm is accessible.

but am not get it
                          can you help me please..........

From
                          Chirag
                          • 10. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                            Good morning

You may wish to initialize the environment variable DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to both <Your Oracle Home>/lib and <Your Oracle Home>/rdbms/lib (Substitute "<Your Oracle Home>" by the full path) directories.
                            DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is Apple's name for the usual UNIX variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Unfortunately this is quite poorly documented. It will direct SQLPLUS to find the shared libraries that it requires.

In addition, you may wish to use a SQLPLUS command that includes the database SID.
                            For example you may type:
                            SQLPLUS <Your account name>/<Your password>@<Your database>

I hope this helps.

Georges Brefort
                            Aventis Pharma
                            • 11. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                              I resolved this on a 9.0.1 install running on Redhat 7.1 by removing a trailing "/" on the ORACLE_HOME environment variable.

Ie ".../product/9.0.1/" became ".../product/9.0.1".

It was obvious from the error message really... hmm.

Fraser.
                              • 12. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

When Ever you try to connect DB via Java Program or SQLPlus following error will ap is found:

ERROR:
                                SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

Solution :
                                You need to Manually startup the database

check ORACLE_SID has value

sqlplus "sys/password as sysdba"
                                startup;
                                Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> startORACLE instance started.
                                SQL> exit

$ export ORACLE_SID=ANOTHER_SID
                                $ sqlplus "sys/password as sysdba"

SQL> startup;
                                SQL> exit

$ export ORACLE_SID=jcrdb
                                $ sqlplus "sys/password as sysdba"
                                SQL> startup;
                                SQL> exit

Thanks
                                --Nazeer                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                                • 13. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                                  I am also getting:

ERROR:

Oracle's action for ORA-27101 is to "Verify that the realm is accessible".
                                  Thanks, but "What's a realm"?

Now I only get this when I am logged on as any user EXCEPT oracle (including root),
                                  or when logged on as oracle but specifying the domain (ie scott/tiger@orcl.world).
                                  Is this a clue? What file is Mac OS X looking for?

Permissions for tnsnames.ora and listener.ora in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
                                  are rwxrwxr-x which seems ok.

1) I tried Ronald's suggestion of

chmod 6750 tnslsnr

but that did not work.

2) I also tried 333255's suggestion of

initializing the environment variable DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to both $ORACLE_HOME/lib and $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib

but also no success.

3) Nazeer's suggestion to start the database is not in order here as the database is started and I can (while logged on as oracle) use:

sqlplus scott/tiger

and get into the db with no problem.

4) I get the same error when trying to connect theu JDeveloper (even logged on as oracle) which is what I am really after.

Frustrated at this point. Anybody have a clue?
                                  • 14. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                                    Problem solved.
                                    Poked around on ORAFAQ and found that the value for environment variable ORACLE_SID had to be the same. I had it in upper case in my .bash_profile so I changed it to "orcl" from "ORCL".
                                    Why I was able to logon under user oracle I don't know since it had the same .bash_profile.
                                    I do have to specify

sqlplus scott/tiger@orcl.world

as orcl.world is in the tnsnames.ora

whereas, as user oracle:

sqlplus scott/tiger

will suffice.

Just to be "tricky", JDeveloper connection SID needs orcl not orcl.world.

Thanks.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next