1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2008 5:27 AM by 630904 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
        I had the same problem. The fix for me appears to be very careful about capitalization of the environment variable ORACLE_SID when starting up the database, when creating the listener.ora, and in tnsnames.ora. Be sure they all match. Once I made them (in my situation) all lower case, and restarted the database, and listener, connections via net8 now work just fine.
        • 16. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
          Ronald Rood
          When you connect from the same machine that runs the instance you can connect using ORACLE_SID and using a tns alias (like x/y@orcl). The ORACLE_SID is case sensitive, the tns alias is not. Normally you should not need to specify '.world' if you setup sqlnet.ora properly. Just make sure it fits to the tnsnames.ora.

regards,
          Ronald
          http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle
          • 17. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
            Hi Ronald,
            I'm getting the same error. I changed the ORACLE_SID to lower case in my .bash_profile file for the oracle account. As for the tnsnames.ora file, I don't understand/see the ORACLE_SID. Below is the error I get when trying to start the 10G database. I've installed 10G on the MAC os 10.4 on a powerbook. Can you tell what I've done wrong.

Thanks,
            Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------
            Last login: Thu Jan 5 13:16:07 on console
            Welcome to Darwin!
            -bash: unmask: command not found
            Traveler:~ oracle$ cd $ORACLE_HOME
            Traveler:/opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1 oracle$ cd bin
            Traveler:/opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/bin oracle$ startup.sh
            /opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/bin/startup.sh: line 2: pushd: /Users/oracle/bin: No such file or directory

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on Thu Jan 5 13:16:40 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to an idle instance.

ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
            LRM-00109: could not open parameter file '/opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/dbs/initorcl.ora'
            Disconnected
            onsctl: ons started

LSNRCTL for MacOS X Server: Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on 05-JAN-2006 13:16:44

Copyright (c) 1991, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Starting /opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for MacOS X Server: Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production
            System parameter file is /opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora
            Log messages written to /opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/network/log/listener.log
            Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC)))
            Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=1521)))

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC)))
            STATUS of the LISTENER
            ------------------------
            Alias LISTENER
            Version TNSLSNR for MacOS X Server: Version 10.1.0.3.0 - Production
            Start Date 05-JAN-2006 13:16:44
            Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 0 sec
            Trace Level off
            Security ON: Local OS Authentication
            SNMP OFF
            Listener Parameter File /opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora
            Listener Log File /opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/network/log/listener.log
            Listening Endpoints Summary...
            (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC)))
            (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=1521)))
            Services Summary...
            Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
            Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
            The command completed successfully
            /opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/bin/startup.sh: line 6: popd: directory stack empty
            Traveler:/opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/bin oracle$ sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.3.0 - Production on Thu Jan 5 13:18:02 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: DBA
            Enter password:
            ERROR:
            ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
            ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
            Mac OS X Error: 2: No such file or directory

Enter user-name:
            • 18. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
              Ok I fixed this error:

/opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/bin/startup.sh: line 2: pushd: /Users/oracle/bin: No such file or directory

, but I'm still getting the "shared memory realm does not exist" error. The script I was running to start the database was in another location. My first script was looking for a bin directory under the /Users/oracle/

Thanks,
              Mike
              • 19. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                Ronald Rood
                Hi Mike,
                I don't see the startup.sh in my installation :-(
                unmask should be umask.

Did you create a database ?
                After installation you can create a database using dbca ($ORACLE_HOME/bin)

ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
                LRM-00109: could not open parameter file '/opt/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/dbs/initorcl.ora'
                This means that you set your ORACLE_SID to 'orcl' so the server is looking for initorcl.ora or spfileorcl.ora to use for start parameters. What file[s] are in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs ?

Ronald
                http://ronr.nl/unix-dba
                • 20. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                  Hi Ronald,
                  the startup.sh is something I pulled from a referece on "http://journeymanjournal.blogspot.com/". It does this:
                  #!/bin/sh
                  pushd ~/bin
                  sqlplus "/ as sysdba" @startup.sql
                  onsctl start
                  lsnrctl start
                  popd

The startup.sql does:
                  startup
                  exit

I got the umask fixed. When I ran the install, I selected to have an example DB created. I did get some errors during the DB creation. The dbs directory has three files:
                  init.ora
                  initdw.ora
                  orapwORCL

Is there an easy way to see if a DB was created. I'm very new to oracle and have 0% oracle admin experience. "Trial by fire". I'm a developer and I'm trying to get HTMLDB up and running on my powerbook.

Thanks for your help,
                  Mike
                  • 21. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                    Hi Ronald,
                    I did the install using "http://www.nomad8.com/oracle_blog.html#unique-entry-id-6" as instructions since it was referenced from the oracle web site. I then used the other one I got the scripts from to attemp to deal with a dynamic IP.

That's pretty much how I got to where I'm at.

Thanks,
                    Mike
                    • 22. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                      Ronald Rood
                      Mike,
                      you have no database but the listener is running fine and is listening on 127.0.0.1.
                      You can see this in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs where you normally have init${ORACLE_SID}.ora, orapw${ORACLE_SID} and spfile${ORACLE_SID}.ora. There is only orapwORCL so I assume you have tried to create a database with an instance called ORCL. In /etc/oratab should the instance also be listed, which it won't be.
                      There are many people having problems with the java tools. I think lots of them have older java files in the system that interfere with the oracle tools.
                      If I were you I would create a nice little sql script for the create database and see what happens when you run that. Check http://tahiti.oracle.com/ for the correct syntax in the sql reference guide.

regards,
                      Ronald
                      http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle
                      • 23. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                        sqlplus scott/tiger@orcl.world

as orcl.world is in the tnsnames.ora

whereas, as user oracle:

sqlplus scott/tiger

will suffice.
                        This is because of the $ORACLE_SID environment variable ;)
                        Just to be "tricky", JDeveloper connection SID needs
                        orcl not orcl.world.
                        This is because JDeveloper doesn't use your tnsnames.ora file, but asks for a sid or service name. If you add this line in your sqlnet.ora file (located in your $TNS_ADMIN directory, or $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin if this variable isn't set):

names.default_domain=world

You can skip the .world postfix while connecting to a database.
                        • 24. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                          Could you change the permissions for
                          $ORACLE_HOME/bin/tnslsnr using
                          chmod 6750 tnslsnr
                          and try again (after restarting the listener)
                          The problem had to do with ipc permissions.

regards,
                          Ronald.
                          -----------------------
                          I met this problem, and forturnately solved it by the way Ronald provided. But I cannot understand why this worked. Could Ronald or anyone else tell me the story on such IPC permissions?

Regard,
                          motes
                          • 25. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                            Ronald Rood
                            Could you change the permissions for
                            $ORACLE_HOME/bin/tnslsnr using
                            chmod 6750 tnslsnr
                            and try again (after restarting the listener)
                            The problem had to do with ipc permissions.
                            I met this problem, and forturnately solved it by the
                            way Ronald provided. But I cannot understand why this
                            worked. Could Ronald or anyone else tell me the
                            story on such IPC permissions?
                            The trick is the way oracle and unix works. Lets assume the oracle executable is owned by oracle:dba and has permissions 6751 (-rwsr-s--x) This means that any user with execute permission on this one can start the database and make it run with oracle:dba privileges. This means that the SGA is also created with oracle:dba as owner.
                            If you run into problems connecting to the - existing - SGA, you could fix that by making sure that your process also has those privs. We connect through the listener, that hands off a process for us that communicates with the server and uses the SGA. By giving the tnslsnr executable exactly those same ownership and privs as the oracle executable we automatically get just that.

Ronald
                            http://oracleOnMac.com
                            • 26. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                              Ronald:

Thank you for your answer. I met this problem after upgrading from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0.

It seems that the "tnslsnr" should have oracle:dba privilege for access to SGA. I notice that I changed "tnslsnr" mode to 6750 from 751 which apparently includes the oracle:dba privilege. So I reset the "tnslsnr"'s mode to 751, this time the database run well and the application is up. So it seems both 6750 and 751 work. Now I have no idea how come the problem occurred originally.

motes
                              • 27. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                                setting oracle_sid in regedit worked for me very well
                                • 28. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                                  i created a database and connecting to scott/tiger which was the db created with the installation named ora90

ERROR:
                                  ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
                                  ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

jayaprasad
                                  • 29. Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                                    I just created a 10.2 database via the installer and couldn't connect / as sysdba but could connect via sqlnet. Treble checked LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH, ORACLE_HOME, SID, etc etc. It turned out that it didn't like my sid in UPPER case. I noticed that in the tnsnames file sid was lower so I changed this in my .profile now I'm ok. What a pain...