This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 1:15 AM by gimbal2 RSS

RSS Feeds in J2EE

800839 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We are planning to develop a webapplication which includes a RSS feeds which uses a standardized XML file format allows the information to be published once and viewed by many different programs. They benefit readers who want to subscribe to timely updates from favorite websites or to aggregate feeds from many sites into one place. How we need to go about in java j2ee? Is there any JAVA API which supports this I saw JavaMediaFramework whether this is of any help. Please send few links on how we can develop this which will help me a lot.

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: RSS Feeds in J2EE
    gimbal2 Guru
    There is no RSS support built into the JEE specification itself, so Google around and see what third party APIs you can come up with. I did a quick Google and Rome caught my eye:

https://rometools.jira.com/wiki/display/ROME/Home

Its been at least 8 years since I last did anything with RSS in Java, I haven't the faintest clue what I used way back then.
  • 2. Re: RSS Feeds in J2EE
    800839 Newbie
    Thanks gimbal, I am using the ROME API to create RSS feeds and publish it (standalone application). Where I am getting the updated details from the DB
    to display the updated RSS feeds results every 2 minutes using my TIMER scheduler.

My queries are:-

How i can publish these information in the web?
    Is it like rather than creating a stand alone desktop app. with main(String args[])
    create a servlet application which will be running in a servlet container, create an index.html for this application which will have
    the URL for RSS feeds to be accessed by the users?

How these updated RSS feeds which is been published will be accessed by the consumer's and how we can notify these users about an
    updated RSS feeds?

From the receiver end whether they need to install any RSS reader or aggregators to access the updated RSS feeds?

Please clarify as you have already an idea about this as I am understanding how it works.This will be of great help.

Thanks.
  • 3. Re: RSS Feeds in J2EE
    gimbal2 Guru
    Yep, you've got plenty of reading and Googling ahead of you. Good luck with your research!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points