This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2013 3:09 PM by user7346336 RSS

Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit

rdarlin2 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I just upgraded my pc to the 64-bit version of Windows 7.
I use an older application "Humingbird BI Query" to access an Oracle database, via SQLNet and the Oracle 8 client.

This works as long as I install the Hummingbird app in the 'Program Files' folder (instead of the 'Program Files (x86) folder).
The oracle client is installed in c:\oracle\ora81.
The TNS_ADMIN environment variable is pointed to c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin
c:\oracle\ora81\bin; is first in the PATH
ORACLE_HOME points to c:\oracle\ora81

I am using 32-bit Excel, and had created several ODC's to pull data into Excel pivots from this same Oracle db.

Problem: since migrating to the 64-bit OS, the 32-bit version of the MS ODBC driver pointed to in the old ODC's is no longer in the %WINDIR%\System32 folder. These are now in the %WINDIR%\SysWOW64 folder.

Running the ODBC Admin tool from the SysWOW64 directory, I can see the 'Oracle ODBC Driver' listed, but it doesn't have any version/company / date/ information like it isn't registered correctly. When I attempt to set up a DSN using the Oracle ODBC driver I get the error " The setup routines for the Oracle ODBC Driver ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 126: The specified module could not be found. (%WINDIR%\system32\SQORAS32.DLL). (this dll is in the Ora81\bin folder)

It looks like the install of the Oracle 8 client did not set the registry correctly to point to the appropriate DLL's.?
Maybe the Oracle 8 client doesn't set itself up properly in Win7-64... not compatible with 64-bit OS?

I suppose I could install the latest 32-bit oracle client... but this was working fine with the older client while on the 32-bit OS.
Any assistance or direction would be appreciated.

Rich
  • 1. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    Balazs Papp Expert
    Well first of all, Oracle 8 is 15 years old, so im not surprised at all it doesnt work properly on a much newer OS.

%windir%/SYSWOW64/odbcad32.exe is for 32-bit drivers
    %windir%/system32/odbcad32.exe is for 64-bit drivers and this is the one being executed when running from control panel
    (logical, isnt it?...)

The registry keys containing information about these are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ODBC
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC

in /ODBC/ODBCINST.INI/"ODBC Drivers" key, there is a list of the drivers, while ODBC/ODBCINST.INI/<driver_name> contains the details

for example:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\Oracle in OraDb11g_home2]
    "APILevel"="1"
    "CPTimeout"="60"
    "ConnectFunctions"="YYY"
    "Driver"="C:\\oracle\\base\\product\\db11202\\BIN\\SQORA32.DLL"
    "DriverODBCVer"="03.51"
    "FileUsage"="0"
    "Setup"="C:\\oracle\\base\\product\\db11202\\BIN\\SQORAS32.DLL"
    "SQLLevel"="1"
    based on this info, you can try to repair it in the registry manually as according to the error it doesnt have the correct path specified, however i would just install a newer, supported version
  • 2. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    980333 Newbie
    Rich did you ever get this resolved, I'm having a similar issue and have went down the paths you have. I have no problem running Oracle drivers in XP mode but surly we can get the 32-bit ODBC's to run out of 64bit mode in W7.
  • 3. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    Tridus Journeyer
    977330 wrote:
    Rich did you ever get this resolved, I'm having a similar issue and have went down the paths you have. I have no problem running Oracle drivers in XP mode but surly we can get the 32-bit ODBC's to run out of 64bit mode in W7.
    You can, but not with Oracle 8 unless you're going to do a lot of manual work (and maybe not even then). Newer 32 bit clients work prefectly well in Windows 7 x64. I'm using one right now. :)
  • 4. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    980333 Newbie
    Great thanks. I'll just download the 32-bit 10g client and install that should work fine won't it?
  • 5. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    Tridus Journeyer
    Assuming you're connecting to an Oracle 8 server, that's probably the last version you can use, yeah. It was made before Windows 7, but it did support Vista x64 so there's a pretty good chance it'll work.

If you're connecting to a newer Oracle server, you should go with the 11gR2 client instead.
  • 6. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    980333 Newbie
    No sadly it's 8i although pretty soon we're going to have to make a move. I'm having trouble with the basic 10.2.0.5 install. somethings goofy and I have to install the basic and then the odbc files from Oracle. As naturally 11 (full version) is the only version that Oracle has for download on their website.

Edited by: 977330 on Dec 18, 2012 1:22 PM
  • 7. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    980333 Newbie
    Just realized I have to just unzip these files in Oracle/ora81 file so that they can be picked up correctly. Did you just put all the .dll's in the bin folder?
  • 8. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    Assuming that the 8i server is running 8.1.7 (and not some even earlier version of 8i), a 10.2 client should be able to connect. But that's the last version of the client that will.

Justin
  • 9. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    980333 Newbie
    Alright,

I think I'm close, I've got the 32 bit client for 10.0.2.05 installed with all the files in the right directory and I've added copied the .ora files into subfolders in network/admin
    I've added W7 enviornment variables for ORACLE_HOME and TNS_NAMES. The former points to the instaclient10.2 folder and the latter the network/admin subfolder within the instaclient10.2 folder.

Now I'm getting the dreaded error code 126, basically saying it can't find the SQORAS32.DLL which is in the folder.

Do I have a path error either in the variables or in the registry?

I've gotta be close.
  • 10. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    orafad Oracle ACE
    Did you set PATH?

ORACLE_HOME should usually not be set, as env variable, on Windows.

Instant Client is "Home-free" which completely rules out the need to set it (and certainly if no specific reason given).
  • 11. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    980333 Newbie
    Nope what should I set PATH to is this a variable in lieu of ORACLE_HOME?
  • 12. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    orafad Oracle ACE
    Did you get the Instant Client install package(s) from this page? http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winsoft-085727.html

Instructions are at the bottom of the page, of course!
  • 13. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    980333 Newbie
    Yes, and I read the directions as well as the readme. As I'm fairly new to this I'm not obviously understanding it fully. Instead of updating a system variable called ORACLE_HOME or TNS_NAMES...I should just add a variable called PATH to the system variables and map it to the installed instaclient directory?
  • 14. Re: Oracle 8 client in Windows 7 64-bit
    orafad Oracle ACE
    Ah, ok, sorry for the too short explanations.

PATH is "part" of the system (Windows).
    Just open a command prompt window (cmd) and type 'set' + enter. There's a bunch of pre-defines.

Now try:
    c:\> path
    c:\> set path
    c:\> set p
    Well, open the control panel for Environment variables, in the System variables section (lower half) you would find PATH (or Path, same thing).

Double click to edit, put your Instant client install (unzip) directory first, followed by a semi-colon (look at how other values/paths are separated). Click OK, OK, OK, ... to "save".

Then reboot the machine just to be on the safe side (having all processes to pick up the change).
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points