This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2012 8:33 PM by heng Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    Nicolas Wipfli - Oracle Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hello,

I do not know if you have an Oracle support contract with your array (which would surprise me since you have an unqualified configuration with only one controller in your 6140), if that is the case, please be aware that downgrading the controller firmware is not supported by Oracle, therefore this will void the coverage if you perform such unqualified/supported procedure, which I will not distribute here even though I know it.

Downgrading a firmware from 07.xx to 06.xx requires even more steps, one of them is to wipe all the data on your array, hence this requires to restore them from a valid backup at the end.

With that said, with the firmware 06.xx, the hot spare is assigned to the slot and the hot spare drive does not include a dacstore. Therefore, my recommendation is to use you array with 06.xx, assign a drive as a hot spare, pull this drive and then move an unused drive from your 07.xx array into this slot in the 06.xx array. This should clear the dacstore on this drive. If after doing that you still have issues, this means that you suffer from another issue which requires further investigation with special access to the shell.

Regards
    Nicolas
  • 16. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    heng Explorer
    Dear Nicolas,

Thank you very much for your support.

- On Storage array (6.x.x.x) has a hot spare
    - On Storage test (7.x.x.x) no hot spare

I try to take array on Storage test (7.x.x.x) which has only one controller to replace array on Storage (6.x.x.x) which has problem array and storing a lot of data but after replace the faulty array it just shows status blue not synchronize and status in CAM still shows Fail.

When solution above not success, I try to erase dacstore on Storage array (7.x.x.x) and replace it again but still the same result above.

Finally, I suspect it cause from firmware of both storage are different, so I want to downgrade controller firmware on Storage test (7.x.x.x) but it has only one controller.

Please kindly give advice for this.

Thanks and Best regards,
    Heng
  • 17. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    Nik Expert
    Hi.

What command you use for clear DacStore on Storage array (7.x.x.x) ?

You can try configure one HDD on storage array (7.x.x.x) as hotspare. After try install this disk to array 6.x.
    Regards.
  • 18. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    FYI the hot spar behavior between 07.xx and 06.xx is different, hence making a drive hot spare on 07.xx will not clear the dacstore. This is something that worked in 06.xx but no longer works in 07.xx because we changed the behavior.

You need to assign a slot as hot spare in 06.xx and insert a drive into it. This clears the dacstore on this drive and this works only with 06.xx. If this solution does not solve the issue, this means that there is another problem which requires special access to the shell and this can only be done by Oracle engineers.

Regards
    Nicolas
  • 19. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    Downgrading a FW requires a special Oracle internal procedure, hence at this stage I would suggest you to open a SR with Oracle.

Regards
    Nicolas
  • 20. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    heng Explorer
    Dear Nik,

The link below is my procedure to clear DacStore on Storage array (7.x.x.x).

http://www.lukedarby.co.uk/2010/08/modifying-or-clearing-sun-stk-dacstore-on-foreign-disks/

Thanks and Best regards,
    Heng

Edited by: Vandy_Kh on Jul 31, 2012 7:19 PM
  • 21. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    heng Explorer
    Dear Nicolas,

On Storage (6.x.x) has a hot spare already, your advice is want me to assign another slot as hot spare in 6.x.x , right?

In Storage (6.x.x) is full with hard disk array.

Please kindly give advice more.

Thanks and regards,
    Heng

Edited by: Vandy_Kh on Jul 31, 2012 7:31 PM
  • 22. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    Nik Expert
    Hi.
    I hope you wiil write what exaclty you do and what problems happens.

According you post it's look like you resolve you problem, becouse provided links show good result :) ....
    And it's another way that i provide for you....

You can also try:
    1. Move all data from array 6.x FW to array 7.x
    2. Remove failed disk on array 6.x, create new good volume, upgrade FW to 7.x. Create required arrays.
    3. Move data back on original array.

Regards.
  • 23. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    heng Explorer
    Dear Nik,

I just erased DacStore of hard disk in Storage 7.x.x on itself not take hard disk to erase on Storage 6.x.x which has faulty hard disk. Than I do the replacement but still not fix the problem.

Pls kindly give advice for this.

Thanks and regards,
    Heng

Edited by: Vandy_Kh on Aug 2, 2012 2:18 AM
  • 24. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    Nik Expert
    Hi.

You can't remove DacStore from disk. You can just place new current DACstore.

Becouse you do it on array 7.x, it's automaticaly put 7.x DACStore. So this disk will not available on array with 6.x FW.

You should do this procedure on array with 6.x FW.

Regards.
  • 25. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    If you insert a drive into a hot spare slot in an array with the firmware 06.xx, the dacstore on the drive you inserted is cleared. Hope this clarifies.

Regards
    Nicolas
  • 26. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    heng Explorer
    Dear Nicolas,

Thank you very much for your help and clarification.

Since the DACstore is clear when hard disk (7.x.x) is inserted to hot spare disk slot on storage 6.x.x, How about firmware, is it changed?

Thank in advance,
    Best regards,
    Heng
  • 27. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    heng Explorer
    Dear Nik

Thank you very much for your help.

Could you explain me some why the hot spare disk slot can clear the DACstore but faulty hard disk slot cannot clear the DACstore?

Thanks and regards,
    Heng
  • 28. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    Vandy_Kh wrote:
    Since the DACstore is clear when hard disk (7.x.x) is inserted to hot spare disk slot on storage 6.x.x, How about firmware, is it changed?
    The firmware is not changed. With an array running 06.xx, if you install a drive into a hot spare drive, the DACstore it cleared.

I'm afraid there is nothing more I can do to assist you. If you require further technical assistance I would suggest you to open a SR with the Oracle support so that we can evaluate the situation and determine if the special access to the shell is required, if so, we will do that remotely or dispatch a field engineer onsite.

Regards
    Nicolas
  • 29. Re: Downgrade Controller firmware of Sun Storage 6140 Array
    heng Explorer
    Dear All,

Now this problem has been solved.

Thanks and regards,
    Heng

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points