This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 3:22 PM by EJP RSS

How to call a C sort function to sort a Java Array.

948886 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
My name is David, I'm interning this summer doing some High Performance Computing work. I'm significantly out of my comfort zone here; I am primarily a network/network security geek, not a programming guy. I took one Java based class called problem solving with programming where we wrote like 3 programs in Java and did everything else in pseudocode and using a program called Alice http://www.alice.org/ to do things graphically. Learned basically no actual programming syntax. Also have done some self-taught perl, but only through one book and I didn't finish it, I only got about half way through it. So my expertise in programming are pretty much null.

That being said, I currently am tasked with having to figure out how to make JNI work... specifically at this time I am tasked with writing an array in Java, and designing a C program that can be called by means of JNI to sort the array. I have chosen to work with the Merge Sort algorithm. My method of coding is not one where I write the entire thing from scratch, I don't particularly have a need to master languages at this point, rather I just need to make them work. I am interested in learning, but time is of the essence for me right now. So thus far what I have done is take sample codes and tweak them to meet my purpose. However, I currently am unable to make things work. So I am asking for help.

I am going to paste 3 codes here, the first one will be my basic self-written instructions for JNI (Hello World Instructions), the second one will be my Java Array, and the third one will be my MergeSort function. I am not asking for you to DO my work for me by telling me how to manipulate my code, but rather I am asking for you to send me in the direction of resources that will be of some aid to me. Links, books (preferrably e-books so I don't have to go to a library), anything that you can send my direction that may help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks so much!

JNI Instructions:
/*The process for calling a C function in Java is as follows:

1)Write the Java Program name. Eg. HelloWorld.java
2)Compile it: javac HelloWorld.java
3)Create a header file: javah -jni HelloWorld
4)Create a C program eg. HelloWorld.java
5)Compile the C program creating a shared library eg. libhello.so (My specifc command is cc -m32 -I/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_05/include -I/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_05/include/linux -shared -o libhello.so -fPIC HelloWorld.c 
6) Copy the library to the java.library.path, or LD_LIBRARY_PATH (in my case I have set it to /usr/local/lib. 
7)Run ldconfig (/sbin/ldconfig)
8)Run the java program: java HelloWorld. */

/*__________________________________________________________________________*/

//Writing the code:
//For the HelloWorld program: 

//In java:
//You need to name a class:
class HelloWorld {
//You then need to declare a native method:
public native void displayHelloWorld();
//You now need a static initializer:
static {
//Load the library:
System.loadLibrary("hello");
}
/*Main function to call the native method (call the C code)*/
public static void main(String[] args) {
new HelloWorld().displayHelloWorld();
}
}

//In C:
#include <jni.h> //JNI header
#include "HelloWorld.h" //Header created by the javah -jni command parameter
#include <stdio.h> //Standard input/output header for C.

//Now we must use a portion of the code provided by the JNI header.
JNIEXPORT void JNICALL
Java_HelloWorld_displayHelloWorld(JNIENV *env, jobject obj) 
//Naming convention: Java_JavaProgramName_displayCProgramName
{
    printf("Hello World!\n");
    return;
}
Java Array:
 class JavaArray {
     private native int MergeSort(int[] arr);
     public static void main(String[] args) 
     {
         int arr[] = {7, 8, 6, 3, 1, 19, 20, 13, 27, 4};
     }
     static 
     {
         System.loadLibrary("MergeSort");
     }   
 }
Hacked and pieced together crappy C Merge Sort code:
#include <jni.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include "JavaArray.h"

JNIEXPORT jint JNICALL 
 Java_JavaArray_MergeSort(JNIEnv *env, jobject obj, jintArray arr[],jint low,jint mid,jint high)
 {
   jint i,j,k,l,b[10];
 l=low;
 i=low;
 j=mid+1;
 while((l<=mid)&&(j<=high))
   {
    if(arr[l]<=arr[j])
      {
       b=arr[l];
l++;
}
else
{
b[i]=arr[j];
j++;
}
i++;
}
if(l>mid)
{
for(k=j;k<=high;k++)
{
b[i]=arr[k];
i++;
}
}
else
{
for(k=l;k<=mid;k++)
{
b[i]=arr[k];
i++;
}
}
for(k=low;k<=high;k++)
{
arr[k]=b[k];
}
}

void partition(jint arr[],jint low,jint high)
{
jint mid;
if(low<high)
{
mid=(low+high)/2;
partition(arr,low,mid);
partition(arr,mid+1,high);
sort(arr,low,mid,high);
}

}
  • 1. Re: How to call a C sort function to sort a Java Array.
    EJP Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    You're doing OK so far up to here:
    Java_JavaArray_MergeSort(JNIEnv *env, jobject obj, jintArray arr[],jint low,jint mid,jint high)
    This is not correct. It is not what was generated by javah. It would have generated this:
    Java_JavaArray_MergeSort(JNIEnv *env, jobject obj, jintArray arr,jint low,jint mid,jint high)
    A 'jintArray' is already an array, embedded in an object. You don't have an array of them.

So you need to restore that, and the header file, the way 'javah' generated them, then adjust your code to call GetIntArrayElements() to get the elements out of 'arr' into a local int[] array, sort that, and then call ReleaseIntArrayElements() to put them back.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points