9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2012 2:44 PM by nasamang

Move OVM 2.2 guests to 3.11 OVM

user2877716
      Hi

I have to upgrade OVM 2.2 to 3.1.1 in the same server, I am considering a fresh install.

I would like to know how to backup the guests and move them back to OVM 3.1.1 once installed, I have though two options

1. shutdown the guests and export them as templates, send the template to a temporary server
      2. shutdown the guests and tar-gzip the directory, send the template to a temporary server

Is there any other option? My repository is in a Server Pool, can I leave it mouted in another OVM Server, upgrade the 2.2 to 3.1.1 and mount the repository which is 2.2 based?

Thanks a lot
        • 1. Re: Move OVM 2.2 guests to 3.11 OVM
          ratdude
          There is no upgrade path from 2.2 to 3. You have to do a fresh install. Either method you listed will work. The time it takes to create a template from a VM in 2.2 is tremendously long, so I found it easier to tar-gzip the shutdown guest and save it off on another server and then import that into 3.1.

-Rich
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Move OVM 2.2 guests to 3.11 OVM
            nasamang
            Heres what we did to move ~80 guests from 2.2.2 to 3.1

1. Shut down the VM on 2.2
            2. On a 2.2 node, cd into /var/mount/ovs and run: python -m SimpleHTTPServer

This will create a http server on port 8000, in which you can then use the 3.1 documentation to import the vms as templates.

Hint: you need to browse to the running_pool/VMNAME and copy and paste the cfg and img files into 3.1's import wizard.

This removes the timely step of tar/gziping and moving files around.
            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Move OVM 2.2 guests to 3.11 OVM
              user2877716
              Hi

after tar and gzip the 2.2 guests, in 3.11 I can run import the tar.gz as a template?

Thanks a lot
              • 4. Re: Move OVM 2.2 guests to 3.11 OVM
                user2877716
                aha the simplehttp server is a great tip!

thanks a lot
                • 5. Re: Move OVM 2.2 guests to 3.11 OVM
                  ratdude
                  Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have to say that the SimpleHTTPServer method with multiple file entries is SO much faster than the tar and gzip method that I had been previously using. It is definitely THE way to move VMs from 2.2 to 3.1.
                  • 6. Re: Move OVM 2.2 guests to 3.11 OVM
                    Liao
                    Dave thanks your idea ,I have done this in the production successfully
                    how do you get this method to do so ?
                    • 7. Re: Move OVM 2.2 guests to 3.11 OVM
                      Dave/Everyone,

Was the migration done on two different servers? if so:

1. Do you need to manually update the vm.cfg file before loading it with OVM Manager? or 2. does OVM Manager update it for you automatically?

I'm assuming its the first one, just want to hear from someone who have already tried it.

TIA!

update: Dave - that was an awesome tip with the python -m command

Edited by: user8020796 on Aug 28, 2012 3:49 AM
                      • 8. Re: Move OVM 2.2 guests to 3.11 OVM
                        Bob Weinmann
                        The most reliable way that I have found to migrate vms to different/other OVM servers is to import the disks first, and then create a new vm pointing to the imported disks.

Obviously you need to know the details of the vm you are recreating, such as OS version, PVM vs HVM, etc.

Bob

And, yes, the Python SimpleHTTPServer tip is on my top ten all time best tips!
                        • 9. Re: Move OVM 2.2 guests to 3.11 OVM
                          nasamang
                          Yes, I agree, we've done whole machine moves using the template import method (of course with the python http server) and we've also done single disk imports, and creating a new VM and attaching those disks.

We've witnessed in moving some VMs verbatim, sometimes the vnc password in vm.cfg gets retained and you have to manually edit the vm.cfg on OVM 3.1 to remove it otherwise the console will not function.