4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2012 5:46 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Should "Session Facade" Contain any Business Logic

Hi ,

According to link

http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2eepatterns/Patterns/SessionFacade.html

i.e. Core J2EE Pattern a session facade i.e. Enterprise Session Bean can directly call Entities and DAOs which seems to me adding more complexity to the system rather than reducing. According to my opinion Session Facade should not do any DAO Calls or Entity Reference directly rather it should delegate request to corresponding Handlers (i.e. POJOs) that should further call Service Objects i.e. simple POJOs for DAO calls because I hope this would cause more simplicity rather than adding every thing to Session Bean.

Note: I want to discuss in EJB 3.0 scenario.

Looking Forward:
      Asad Ali Rathore.
        • 1. Re: Should "Session Facade" Contain any Business Logic
          r035198x
          The session bean should not concern itself with data access logic because how the data is accessed should not be coupled with the business rules since they change independently of each other.
          In the pattern given, the data access logic has already been hidden away in the DAO pattern so the session bean can call the DAO without introducing a dependency on how the data is accessed.
          You solution just adds another layer without really simplifying anything.
          • 2. Re: Should "Session Facade" Contain any Business Logic
            gimbal2
            946651 wrote:
            i.e. Core J2EE Pattern a session facade i.e. Enterprise Session Bean can directly call Entities and DAOs which seems to me adding more complexity to the system rather than reducing.
            For some applications yes (I hesitate to say: most), for some, likely those with more complex transaction management requirements, the additional layer is actually a benefit. Its all a matter of perspective; for example if you use JPA then you can argue that that is already a 'dao' and you don't need yet another DAO layer.

The heart of the matter is: just because that article exists doesn't make it the truth. Do what you think works, not what Sun thought worked.
            • 3. Re: Should "Session Facade" Contain any Business Logic
              First of All thanks a lot for considering some time.

EJB's are meant for complexed enterprise solutions, I don't recommend EJB's to use for a shopping cart like application. I mean a lot of complexity, transaction management, security, load balancing, clustering bla bla, is involved for such an enterprise solution.

In such particular case I think layers reduces complexity and Enterprise Session Bean is only meant for a proxy like stuff to the particular handler for further processing.

Regards and Looking Forward:
              Asad Ali Rathore.
              • 4. Re: Should "Session Facade" Contain any Business Logic
                gimbal2
                Yes and no. Especially EJB 3.1 technology has simplified to the point where you can use it for basically any purpose. Just as long as you pick the right design.