This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 2:18 PM by bigdelboy Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Passed 1Z0-047 in Oct. 2012
    matthew_morris Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    My advice is this. If you are stuck on a question, don't waste your time on it. Just skip it and come back
    later if you have time left. You are better off by answering questions you are certain about the answer
    rather than spend a lot of time over a question you are not sure about.
    I'd actually suggest a slightly different approach. If you get stuck on a question, before moving on enter your best guess for the answer, and use the 'Mark' capability to mark the question. Then if you have time at the end of the test go back and take a second look at all of your marked questions. This way, if you don't end up having time to go back, at least the question will have been answered. Unanswered questions are automatically wrong. If you take a stab at it, you have at least a chance of having gotten it correct.
  • 16. Re: Passed 1Z0-047 in Oct. 2012
    970218 Newbie
    I totally agree with you said in the post. Thanks for the tips. I remember that I was stuck on a question with long queries. I went back and forth between the question, the multiple choices, and the ERD. I figured out the answer after 5 minutes. Soon after, I realized that I was behind in time, and I had to scramble. This is my advice for anyone want to take this exam. You have 120 minutes to answer 70 questions. This works about to be 1 minute and 42 seconds per question. If you found yourself spend more than 2 minutes on a question, put down your best guess and move on! In essence, cut your loss early and cut it quick. Good luck to all who want to take the exam.
  • 17. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    bigdelboy Pro
    Well Steve O'Hearn the authorhas done a video on the certification blog so you can checkout his words here for anyine interested in taking 1z0-047

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0813_07

Worth at least a view .....
  • 18. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    This is Steve O'Hearn, and thanks to bigdelboy for reposting the URL for the script download for my book, OCA Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Guide: Exam 1ZO-047. I didn't realize my earlier posts providing the URL were flagged as spam. You're correct that I posted that URL in several forums at once. It's unfortunate that whoever or whatever may have deleted my entries would've done so on behavior alone without regard for the content of the message.

Anyone can visit my blog at blog.corbinian.com and look for the "1ZO-047 SQL SCRIPTS" link and follow the instructions. And yes, the script download is limited to owners of the book itself. The script is worthless to anyone else anyway.

For anyone wondering about preparation for the exam, please note that my book includes 728 pages in 18 chapters, including one for each of the exam objectives, and each of those chapters includes the following:

- Text to address the exam objectives in detail
    - A detailed chapter summary ("certification summary")
    - A through "two minute drill" reviewing the concepts of the chapter
    - A "self-test" on the chapter, including 15 questions each, and each question is designed to match the pattern of the actual certification exam. This means that many questions are based on code samples, and all offer multiple choice answers.
    - Detailed explanations for each "self-test" question and each and every answer - including an explanation as to why each answer is either right or wrong

In addition to all of this, the book also includes a complete 70-question practice exam at the end of the printed book.

And in addition to that, there's another complete 70-question practice exam available online to owners of the book.

These exams are not included in the 728 pages of text. Altogether you're getting over 1,000 pages of material with which to prepare for the exam.

The book really is a complete package for exam preparation. And judging by the volume of email I get from happy readers who are now certified, I dare say its very effective.

Good luck to you if you are studying for the exam! And please feel free to contact me with any comments or questions you may have. I've read that I'm apparently not allowed to post my email address here, but my blog website is listed above, and you can contact me via the blog.

- Steve
  • 19. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    matthew_morris Expert
    You're correct that I posted that URL in several forums at once. It's unfortunate that whoever or whatever
    may have deleted my entries would've done so on behavior alone without regard for the content of the message.
    Steve -- I recall the incident. You created an account and as your very first posts added the exact same text to six threads in this forum that mentioned 1Z0-047 in the subject -- several of them quite old. Regardless of whether the information was useful or not, that is spam-like behavior. I did not report the posts as such, but I understand why the moderators acted as they did. It could be argued that the mods should not have removed all six. However, it is certain that you should have only posted the information once.

That said, your book is very comprehensive. I used it myself when I was preparing for the SQL Expert exam.
  • 20. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    Thank you matthew_morris for your post. One clarification on something you couldn't have known, regarding this comment:
    You created an account and as your very first posts added the exact same text to six threads ...
    Something I think you probably can't tell as a member of this forum is that I've had this account for many years, so long now I don't even remember when I started it. I used it in 2001 when Oracle Corp provided an online "attendance" option for Oracle Open World. And I used it before that to download trial software and development tools, and engage a similar forum a lot like this one, a predecessor to this one.

My similar or identical posts were intended to provide info about the script downloads in all the threads that were asking about them. I know spam filter bots might flag such activity, I just wasn't expecting such spam-flagging rules within a logged-in email-verified forum environment, particularly one in which I've been a member for over ten years, a data point that I would assume is available to a system admin or automated bot.

But whatever - it's all good, I'm certainly not upset about it, things happen. And I appreciate this forum for what it is, which is a very valuable one-of-a-kind resource that provides a tremendous benefit to a lot of folks.

THANK YOU for your positive comments about the book. It was definitely a team effort. The technical editor - Alistaire Grieve - was absolutely fantastic, and the entire team at McGraw-Hill was excellent to work with as well, particularly Tim Green and Meghan Manfre (she was Meghan Riley then). They've established a framework for these certification exams that helps guarantee the comprehensive nature of the book. Sharp folks.

Edited by: ow001681 on May 16, 2013 5:57 AM
  • 21. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    matthew_morris Expert
    ow001681 wrote:
    Thank you matthew_morris for your post. One clarification on something you couldn't have known, regarding this comment:
    You created an account and as your very first posts added the exact same text to six threads ...
    Something I think you probably can't tell as a member of this forum is that I've had this account for many years, so long now I don't
    even remember when I started it. I used it in 2001 when Oracle Corp provided an online "attendance" option for Oracle Open World.
    And I used it before that to download trial software and development tools, and engage a similar forum a lot like this one, a predecessor to this one.
    Steve:

All that I can say is that your account is listed as having been created yesterday and contains only two posts. When you posted previously, I recall at the time that it was showing as brand new and with just the count of posts that equaled the ones posted that day. I only remember that because it seemed strange to me at the time that you had never posted previously.

Handle:     ow001681
    Status Level:     Newbie
    Total Posts:     2

It may be that the mods see something different, but frankly, that would be a bit strange.
  • 22. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    To matthew_morris:
    All that I can say is that your account is listed as having been created yesterday and contains only two posts.
    I noticed that yesterday after I'd posted - and yet this is the exact same account I used months ago to post the information about script downloads for my book, posts that I'm now told were removed.

Curious.

Right now, if I click within my OTN "control panel", I see the account was "registered" yesterday. And yet right now over at http://www.oracle.com (as opposed to http://otn.oracle.com), I can click on "My Account", and I can see that my email address was last "verified" on July 5, 2012.

But I don't see an account creation date. I'd love to know what that date is. I'm guessing ... 2001? 1999? Not sure.

Edited by: ow001681 on May 17, 2013 2:21 AM
  • 23. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    matthew_morris Expert
    I noticed that yesterday after I'd posted - and yet this is the exact same account I used months ago
    to post the information about script downloads for my book, posts that I'm now told were removed.
    No, it isn't. If you hover over 'ow001681' in one of these posts, you'll see a link to the account information for your OTN account. In this case, yours is:

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/profile.jspa?userID=1006185

This account is userid 1006185. That number is created via a sequence (or the equivalent). Your 'handle' is 'ow001681', but that's just giving a friendly name to the account number. By contrast, bigdelboy's account was registered on 08/18/11 and is userID 880225, and my account was registered on 07/15/09 and id userID 709095. The OTN account you are posting with right now just got created two days ago, and the account you posted with some months back likewise got created on that same day.

The OTN discussion forums get a fair amount of SPAM. You don't see it because users like myself and bigdelboy (and many others in the various forums) report it almost immediately and the mods delete the posts. The general form that the spam takes is that a new account gets generated and then the account posts the same message to multiple different threads -- sometimes across multiple forums. Your posts matched the fingerprint of spam. It is also considered poor etiquette to post to old threads. Several of the ones you posted to that day were old.

In any event, the only reason I replied is because your post implied that the mods behavior was flawed: "It's unfortunate that whoever or whatever may have deleted my entries would've done so on behavior alone without regard for the content of the message." That is not the case. They did exactly what their (unpaid) job is. It might have been better if they had left one post in the most recent thread, but that would have been above and beyond the call of duty.
  • 24. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    I wrote: "... this is the exact same account I used months ago to post the information about ..."

matthew_morris replied: "No, it isn't ..."

-------------------------------
    MY REPLY
    -------------------------------

Yes it is, but I can see why you wouldn't understand what's going on.

I initially created my account years ago. And even though it's a great resource, I rarely use OTN, if ever. If memory serves me, it may have not even existed when I first created my account years ago.

Based on what I've observed, I'm guessing my basic "account of record" is stored externally to forums.oracle.com. That may not be true for everyone, and may be dependent on when you created your account, and which (webpage / machine name / portal / app / etc.) you used to create an account. Again, I'm speculating, but go with me here, this will make sense in a minute.

I may have posted a few comments at OTN over the years, I really don't remember. I was more likely to use Usenet and other online resources, user groups, colleagues I know and trust, employees, and my own direct listservs and networks, etc., over the years.

But a few months ago, I stumbled on questions here in this forum (via Google) asking about my book's scripts. So I logged in to OTN using my old account, and posted information about my scripts everywhere I found someone asking for them.

Now you're now telling me that those posts appeared that day as though I had just created an OTN account that day.

So perhaps my act of posting that day at OTN caused my pre-existing oracle.com account to 'register' itself with OTN - that's how it's labeled, a "registration".

THEN, unbeknownst to me, you're telling me that you think my posts were SPAM and therefore deserved deletion. Well think about that - I doubt the forum admin would just delete my posts. I'll bet he/she probably got my entire OTN account deleted. After all, if I'm an admin, and someone like you is complaining about posts, if I choose to believe you and decide that the person posting is guilty of SPAM, I'm not going to just delete their posts, I'm going to delete the account. Right?

I wasn't guilty of SPAM, quite the opposite. But that's beside the point.

Now, two days ago - Thursday - I was back in OTN for the first time since then, and found the post from "bigdelboy" acknowledging that all my old posts were all deleted, so he very graciously re-posted the script download URL, something I'm very grateful to him for.

So I logged in to OTN to thank him. NOW - you can believe me or not, but I did NOT create a new OTN account, not yesterday, not months ago. Just like before, I logged in to my old basic oracle.com account, and when I clicked over to OTN, I'll bet it repeated what I think it did months ago - automatically "register" itself with OTN.

The point is that I did not create a new account. I used the same old account I've always used.

You can choose to believe all that, or not, it makes no difference to me.

But this interpretation makes sense to me. It would explain why I've not created a new account in years, yet apparently have appeared twice now to have had a new OTN account.
  • 25. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    matthew_morris wrote:
    This account is userid 1006185. That number is created via a sequence (or the equivalent). Your 'handle' is 'ow001681', but that's just giving a friendly name to the account number. By contrast, bigdelboy's account was registered on 08/18/11 and is userID 880225, and my account was registered on 07/15/09 and id userID 709095. The OTN account you are posting with right now just got created two days ago, and the account you posted with some months back likewise got created on that same day. The OTN discussion forums get a fair amount of SPAM. You don't see it because users like myself and bigdelboy (and many others in the various forums) report it almost immediately and the mods delete the posts.
    Good observation about the hyperlink, but for the record - the "userID" in the URL appears to be the name of a parameter being passed to the (presumably) Java servlet to which the URL is referring, but I wouldn't summarize that by saying the "account is userid 1006185". I do think it's fair to assume the value of 1006185 is a primary key value and that it was probably generated by a sequence generator. That's not a guarantee, but it's likely. However, the value "ow001681" is labeled as the "user name" in my account profile, and that's what I have to use to log in - it's not just a friendly label, it's the required login name for my account. The primary key value is not something that I use, and frankly it could change - if the forums.oracle.com developers do a major overhaul that fundamentally restructures the data model, it's entirely possible that value might change. Not likely. But very possible. However, my login name shouldn't change.

I can't log in with the primary key value, and shouldn't. Perhaps your account behaves differently.
  • 26. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    It is also considered poor etiquette to post to old threads.
    Says who? If the topic is relevant, who cares how old it is?
    Several of the ones you posted to that day were old.
    You seem very contentious with me for some reason. Why? And you seem to remember a lot of details about my very few posts from months ago that were long since deleted without my knowledge. Why?
    the only reason I replied is because your post implied that the mods behavior was flawed: "It's unfortunate that whoever or whatever may have deleted my entries would've done so on behavior alone without regard for the content of the message." ... They did exactly what their (unpaid) job is.
    But I also stated this: "But whatever - it's all good, I'm certainly not upset about it, things happen. And I appreciate this forum for what it is, which is a very valuable one-of-a-kind resource that provides a tremendous benefit to a lot of folks."

You're trying to make it look like I insulted the forum administrators, when I clearly did not.

Why? Why are you doing this, "matthew_morris"? Why so contentious? Have I said something to offend you?

What's on your mind? Why are you scrutinizing my very limited activity so closely and seeming to find offense where it doesn't exist?

Edited by: ow001681 on May 17, 2013 10:30 PM

Edited by: ow001681 on May 18, 2013 4:47 AM
  • 27. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    Aha. I think I just figured it out.

I'm the author of the OCA Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Guide: Exam 1Z0-047 from McGraw-Hill and Oracle Press.

And last year you self-published a book that competes with mine.

I get it now.
  • 28. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    matthew_morris Expert
    Steve,

You're making a tempest in a teacup and assuming aggression where there is none. I made one post, very mild, and with a nod to your book, that explained why your posts were deleted a few months back. This was a FYI, not a flame. The other two two posts were in response to yours, answering the misconceptions you have about how this forum and OTN accounts work. I was trying to help you understand why your post count keeps resetting and why the mods see your account as new and therefore suspicious.

Beyond that, I'll answer just two points about your post-storm:
    THEN, unbeknownst to me, you're telling me that you think my posts were SPAM and therefore deserved deletion.
    Well think about that - I doubt the forum admin would just delete my posts. I'll bet he/she probably got my
    entire OTN account deleted. After all, if I'm an admin, and someone like you is complaining about posts, if
    I choose to believe you and decide that the person posting is guilty of SPAM, I'm not going to just delete
    their posts, I'm going to delete the account. Right?
    Now, two days ago - Thursday - I was back in OTN for the first time since then, and found the post from
    "bigdelboy" acknowledging that all my old posts were all deleted, so he very graciously re-posted the script
    download URL, something I'm very grateful to him for.
    You didn't pay much attention to what you read. I have already said that I did not report your posts as spam, and in the same post where bigdelboy re-posted the link, he noted that he had.

Aha. I think I just figured it out.
    I'm the author of the OCA Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam Guide: Exam 1Z0-047 from McGraw-Hill and Oracle Press.
    And last year you self-published a book that competes with mine.
    I get it now.
    You might check through some of my historic posts before you make statements like that. I constantly talk about how good the Oracle Press series is, including your book, and recommend quite often that people use them to study. The series of certification study guides that I have written were specifically designed to complement the Oracle Press series rather than compete with them. If you look on Amazon at your book, you'll see that it notes yours and mine are frequently bought together. That was my intent from the beginning. I look at you as a partner, not a competitor.

Now take just a couple of minutes are re-read through my earlier posts. Take the angry tone you apparently have added and read them aloud in a calm voice.
  • 29. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    I believe the purpose of this forum is to exchange technical information, and we don't seem to be doing that at this point.

Good luck with your work, I wish you the best.

Edited by: ow001681 on May 18, 2013 9:22 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points