This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 2:18 PM by bigdelboy RSS

Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a

949817 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can anyone who have please give your mail ID so that i can contact regarding the preparation.. It would be a great help if you do so...
  • 1. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    matthew_morris Expert
    Posting email addresses on this forum is not recommended and the moderator will remove any that are. Email addresses shown in forums like this are often used to spread illicit test materials such as brain dumps (sometimes by intent and other times as SPAM). There are numerous threads on this forum about preparation for this test and others. If your question about test prep isn't already answered, then ask it in this thread and someone (quite possibly me) will post a response.

I've written a very generic article on studying for this test It may or may not be of use to you:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Studying-for-1Z0-047:-Oracle-Database-SQL-Expert&id=7124588
  • 2. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    949817 Newbie
    Hi, i first thank for the reply.... Im preparing with Jason Price and Steven O hein for theory and understanding... But i need some good practise material so that i can face the heat of this exam... many say test engines... can u or any one share an open source free test engines.... if u or anyone cleared this exam please let us know what preparation material u followed ..... please
  • 3. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    bigdelboy Pro
    Hi, i first thank for the reply.... Im preparing with Jason Price and Steven O hein for theory and understanding... But i need some good practise material so that i can face the heat of this exam... many say test engines... can u or any one share an open source free test engines.... if u or anyone cleared this exam please let us know what preparation material u followed ..... please
    Whether you intend it or not you are going to end up with a braindump or material in breach of copyright: https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0477

And IMHO SQL+experts+ don't need good practice material ... they apply sweat. Otherwise there will be false SQL OCE, a piece of parper only.

ISBN-13: 978-0071614214 comes with its own practice test on cdrom.

To some extend this is a second warning

IMHO you need to rethink your certification yourney carefully as you are very much in danger of using cheating material or material in breach of copyright and attemtping to shortcut the learning process.
  • 4. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    bigdelboy Pro
    One thing missing on this forum is the fact that Steve O'Hearn has the scripts for this book available for download:

http://blog.corbinian.com/SQL_Scripts

Steve (at leas I assume it was Steve, but it could have been anyone) mentioned this on this forum a month or so back, unfortunately he did so rising about 5/6 threads simultaneously, so it amounted to a possilble spam.   I reported as such, suggesting one was left.  The thread flaming dragon from Pern, who actually does a terrific job removing spam from this forum, promptly moved all threads to the moderators forum! (and possibly locked associated threads).  So the resource is lost from the forum and I have looked for a point to re-introduce the information.  So here it is.  My understanding is download is free to book owners, but obviously the process may also be used to offer you services.  I am reasonably certain this is a trustworthy link at the time of this post, but ultimately anyone using it takes there own responsibility for risk and caution.

Edited by: bigdelboy on May 18, 2013 2:41 PM Changed typo of traffic to terrific in above post; and of couple of one letter typos.
  • 5. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    matthew_morris Expert
    many say test engines... can u or any one share an open source free test engines
    Whoever the many is weren't talking about free test engines. The Self Test Software and Transcender practice tests are both excellent. The vast majority of other stuff out there is trash. As bigdelboy indicated, most of it isn't just trash but brain dump material as well, so trash and illicit material that will put your certification in jeopardy. I write study guides and run across a lot of this type material while I am researching for them. I've seen a lot of examples of the 'Pass for Sure' type material while doing so. They contain questions and answers for material that isn't even on the exam as well as incorrect answers.

Writing test questions and answers is hard. It requires someone that is very knowledgeable of the material to spend a bunch of long boring hours creating questions and viable answers. To be close to the SQL Expert exam, it also requires creating a bunch of complex SQL statements, the data behind those statements and testing their results. Anyone that can do this well can also earn a significant amount of money spending that time consulting. This is too much work to go through just to give the results away for free. What that means in the end is that any free material was either not written by someone skilled enough to be doing it, or was stolen (i.e. is a brain dump).

Besides that -- I don't consider self tests to be a really viable means to prepare for 1Z0-047. Part of the problem with that test is that the questions are tricky. It's the wording of the questions and the specific format of the SQL in the questions (or the answers) that makes it so. A practice test can't duplicate that. You simply have to know SQL syntax really well so that you can determine if a complex statement is legal or illegal. You also need to be able to look at a SQL statement and figure out what it would produce when run. You don't learn either of those skills from self-tests.
  • 6. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    Philippe Ludwig Newbie
    be warned "1Z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Exper"t is very tought exam. Without brain dumps almost impossible to achieve. I recommend you take first "Exam 1Z0-051 Oracle Database 11g SQL Fundamentals" exam. It's simpler.
  • 7. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    matthew_morris Expert
    Without brain dumps almost impossible to achieve.
    This can be taken as a 'Use brain dumps if you want to pass the test'. I assume (and hope) that you didn't mean it that way, but it's not really a good thing to imply in any fashion that using them is a good idea.

The SQL Expert exam is tough. It is supposed to be tough. It is was not, then it would not require someone who was expert with SQL to pass the test. You become an expert with SQL by writing a bunch of it. Reading books or study guides can shortcut the process somewhat, but at the base, you have to write and run a lot of SQL in order to be able to look at a complex piece of SQL on-screen and know what it's going to do without having a SQL parser handy.
  • 8. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    bigdelboy Pro
    Philippe Ludwig wrote:

... Without brain dumps almost impossible to achieve. ...
    I too was horrified by this statement. And I concur fully with Matthew's comments. Difficult yes ... impossible for most good oracle SQL practioners ... certainly not ... that would be a grave insult to them. A guide is almost essential as sometimes it is not obvious from the topics the scope that one should be revising. As it happens I used O'Hearn's book .... and put in some sweat ... ( take me as starting from reaonsably practiced in SQL for many years ... but perhaps a rusty and not too practiced in the more recent ANSI standards ) ... and I wouldn't have had the time to attempt it without a guide to refer back to originating documentation. But for most able SQL people with some interest in the art of SQL it is a challenging journey that can be accomplished. However if one is not really able at SQL then the exam probably shouldn't be attempted. That said; there is almost certainly a proportion of able SQL people who simply woul not cope with the exam format. And I found time pressure ... passed 50% time with less than 50% questions answered. And I had to remember from my distant past to answer one question. And on another I remembered that looking at a question 5 questions before would resolve my doubt on whih of 2 options were correct. And it has been useful .... I now use an SQL statement at times where previously I would have immediately gone PL/SQL. AndI particularly remember udsing one topic on pigs ears to vastly improve performance of a statement ... and that was really important and I might not have realised it if I didn't study the exam (some might argue one could get as much beenfit by following Ask Tom or similar ... and I might not disagree at times).

Anyway to SQL OCE's befair certain a godd interviewer should be able to work out whether ou are really good (not not) fairly quickly.
  • 9. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    Philippe Ludwig Newbie
    I am honest and don't cheat on exams. So I don't recommend braindumps to anyone.

But I am very disappointed from OCE SQL. I am an application manager who does often SQL scripts (since years) - sometimes 200 lines of code. But I am not a DBA and not a developer! My scripts programmed with help from Google queries and "try and error".

IMHO OCE SQL is too complicated for people who don't work full time with Oracle DB. The SQL Fundementals exam is perfect, but you don't receive certificate for your CV. That I receive certificate I need to take admin I exam (without practise, because the DBA stuff is done by other team).

We need some kind of exam for application managers. Most applications use Oracle as backend
  • 10. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    matthew_morris Expert
    Philippe:

The description that you provide of what you do is not that of someone who is an expert with SQL. I don't really understand then why you are disappointed with the test. If you are not an expert with SQL and you failed the test, then it did what it was supposed to. The Fundamentals exam is a reasonable of your knowledge of the basic SQL that anyone working with the Oracle database should know. However, because it is an easier test, it's not really something for which a certification would mean very much. The more difficult a certification is to obtain, the more valuable it is.

If you don't work full-time with Oracle, then an Oracle certification may not really be something you need.
  • 11. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    Apostolis Newbie
    Philippe,

It is really not that difficult to pass.
    The test has 70 questions and you only have to pass about 46 of them. And you have 2 whole hours for it! Believe me, it's not difficult, unless you depend solely on google in order to write sql. In that case, study the exam objectives, feel confident that you are able to write basic/intermediate sql statements without the use of google and the exam will be piece of case.

Also, don't expect to earn the Expert certification without devoting some time to study for it.

Regards,
    Apostolis
  • 12. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    949817 Newbie
    hi.. i read ur article... realised where do i stand... shocked reading that having before group by....i simply cant understand... is der not a way to prepare for this xam... cant u suggest me a way to do so..... how will i know having works well before group by... only by solving them ... but wer is d source?
  • 13. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    matthew_morris Expert
    is der not a way to prepare for this xam... cant u suggest me a way to do so.....
    Understand that this exam is intended to be passed by individuals who are expert in SQL. Presumably they became expeert in SQL by using it daily for many years. I have been using SQL almost daily for the past fifteen years and I still needed to do some exam preparation for areas that were covered by the test but which I don't tend to use. If you do not have this kind of experience but still want to pass the test, you must study much harder and longer and practice SQL on your own as well.

how will i know having works well before group by... only by solving them ... but wer is d source?
    Well for one, the Oracle SQL reference specifically indicates this is the case:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HAVING Clause

Use the HAVING clause to restrict the groups of returned rows to those groups for which the specified condition is TRUE. If you omit this clause, then the database returns summary rows for all groups.

Specify GROUP BY and HAVING after the where_clause and hierarchical_query_clause. If you specify both GROUP BY and HAVING, then they can appear in either order.

I'm reasonably sure that Steve's book mentions that they can appear in either order and I know that my study guide does. In the article I wrote about preparing for the test, it was just a single example of the 'weird' ways that SQL can be written -- but normally isn't. There are many others.
  • 14. Passed 1Z0-047 in Oct. 2012
    970218 Newbie
    I passed the test early this month. I got my certificate from Oracle last Saturday. It feels good to have the title of Oracle SQL Expert. 1Z0-047 is by far the most difficult exam I have ever taken. I started using databases in 1999, I am a battle-hardened DBA with a lot of experience with SQL. Nevertheless, I still had to study hard on the test for 6 month, 3 hrs a day non-stop. Anyone, who believes in passing exam by working experience, can pretty much forget about it.

The best material for studying is Steve O'Hearn's book. I also tried Oracle authorized practice exam from Self Test Software, a reseller of Kaplan's sample tests. Kaplan's sample tests had certain values, but a lot of it were off topics published by Oracle. I felt that Kaplan just lifted questions from other Oracle exams and rename them 1Z0-047.

Time management is extremely critical in this exam. At the midway through the exam, I was several questions behind in time where I supposed to be. I had to catch up in the second half. My advice is this. If you are stuck on a question, don't waste your time on it. Just skip it and come back later if you have time left. You are better off by answering questions you are certain about the answer rather than spend a lot of time over a question you are not sure about.

Good Luck to anyone who wants to take the exam. Study hard and you will be awarded for your time and effort.
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points