This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2012 6:50 AM by gimbal2 RSS

JRE 7 Applets running under Administrator account but not User account

950070 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
When we switch to JRE 7 from JRE 6 u 33 we have several applets tha will run under an Administrative account on a PC, but not a User account.
When trying to run the applet we get the following ribbon at the top of the IE (8) Browser. "An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in Internet Options for potential conflicts." (No java console, no trace or log file after debug/trace has been turned on).
Some applets do load like the one at http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

We are pretty sure this is a security setting issue somewhere since the applets run under an admin account but not a user account, but at this point have no idea which one.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
  • 1. Re: JRE 7 Applets running under Administrator account but not User account
    950070 Newbie
    A little more information on this.
    Initially after an administrator logs in the applets do not work... I go into the JAVA control panal and turn off the next-generation plug-in, apply and then turn it back on again. After that sequence it works.
    A normal user is locked out from changing that setting. If an admin is at the pc they can put in their credentials to change the setting, though doing it this way the applets still to not load.
    The only way I ave been able to get the applets to load for the user is to change the user (temporarily) to an administrator, toggle the next-generation plug-in, and then remove admin rights to that user. After that sequence the applets load for the user.
    So I'm wondering what toggeling the next-generation plugin in administrator mode does... expecially since the final state of it is still turned on.
  • 2. Re: JRE 7 Applets running under Administrator account but not User account
    gimbal2 Guru
    So I'm wondering what toggeling the next-generation plugin in administrator mode does
    Can only guess - probably some registry settings are (over)written that did not exist or were wrong prior to the switch. Only the devs of the java browser plugins can know the truth as that stuff happens to be closed source.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points