This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2013 4:46 AM by c8479114-1a32-4b41-b5ab-50a005c40810 RSS

Unsupported device type

user753978 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
After a power outage OSB has lost the ability to use two of its three tapes drives. I've hard rebooted the library. I've pulled the power cord on the library. The OSB server has been rebooted multiple times. I've tried putting the drives out of service and bringing them back up. When going to the Configure -> Device - Tape2 (or Tape3) I see this message at the top of the screen/
----
no hardware info is available for drive tape2 - unsupported device type (not tape or library)

no hardware info is available for drive tape3 - unsupported device type (not tape or library)
----

Transcripts of jobs show these errors:
-------
Error: can't open device tape3 - device file not found (OB scsi device driver)

Error: can't open device tape2 - unsupported device type (not tape or library) (OB scsi device driver)
---------

I'm not sure what to do. All the tape drives are the same so obviously the drivers exist. How do I get these drives working again?

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: Unsupported device type
    rdoogan Journeyer
    What OS are you running?

It sounds like the device attach points have moved. If this is a Linux system then you can do "obtool lsdev -l" to see what /dev/sg entry your devices are looking at, and then do "sg_map -x -i" to see what /dev/sg your devices are really using. Then you can update the device attach points to point to the correct entry using "obtool chdev -a"

For example :

obtool lsdev -l

Drive0:
    Device type: tape
    Model: [none]
    Serial number: 882E70020M
    In service: yes
    Library: L700
    DTE: 1
    Automount: yes
    Query frequency: [undetermined]
    Debug mode: no
    Blocking factor: 512
    Max blocking factor: 512
    Current tape: [unknown]
    Use list: all
    Drive usage: 2 months, 1 week
    Cleaning required: no
    UUID: dddc4eaa-f143-102b-b28c-001ec9b5e6ee
    Attachment 1:
    Host: dukdaa01
    Raw device: /dev/sg2

sg_map -x -i

/dev/sg0 0 0 32 0 13 DP BACKPLANE 1.05
    /dev/sg1 0 2 0 0 0 /dev/sda DELL PERC 6/i 1.22
    /dev/sg2 1 0 0 0 5 /dev/scd0 TEAC DVD-ROM DV28EV D.AE
    /dev/sg3 3 0 0 1 1 /dev/nst0 IBM ULTRIUM-TD2 333K

obtool chdev -a dukdaa01:/dev/sg3 Drive0

Thanks

Rich
  • 2. Re: Unsupported device type
    user753978 Newbie
    Thanks for the suggestion Rich. Since we'd never had a problem with our library or drives changing attach points with this install I assumed that because I was getting the "Unsupported device type" error in OSB that it was an OSB problem. Running sg_map -i -x showed that the OS wasn't even aware the devices were there anymore.

It turned out to be a hardware issue. A SCSI cable had gone bad after drive 1 causing the OS to not see drives 2 and 3. I replaced the cable and all is well.

This was not an OSB issue.

Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Unsupported device type
    c8479114-1a32-4b41-b5ab-50a005c40810 Newbie

Hello,

We have the same problem, but on Solaris, so the sg_map commant is not working.

Can somebody help us ?

Thank you and regards,

Ferenc

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points