7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2012 8:37 AM by SaikatBanerjee

Processes running/trying to run on a port

SaikatBanerjee
      Hi all!

How can I know the name of processes running at a particualr port??

My listener is running at port 1521.Now if any other application tries to access the same port(i.e,1521) or tries to send data through thuis port we may face error.

I would like to identify the applications,process,service accessing the port 1521.Please help.

Regards,
      Saikat
        • 1. Re: Processes running/trying to run on a port
          sb92075
          948409 wrote:
          Hi all!

My listener is running at port 1521.Now if any other application tries to access the same port(i.e,1521) or tries to send data through thuis port we may face error.

I would like to identify the applications,process,service accessing the port 1521.Please help.

Regards,
          Saikat
          doing so is Operating System specific, but you decided not to share your OS name & version with us

netstat -a | grep 1521
          • 2. Re: Processes running/trying to run on a port
            Marcus Rangel
            What operating system ?
            • 3. Re: Processes running/trying to run on a port
              Billy~Verreynne
              948409 wrote:

I would like to identify the applications,process,service accessing the port 1521.
              The question is how is that a sysadmin does not know what services are enabled and which ports are these services using? One of the very basic steps in hardening a server is to only enable the services that should be running.

To view which ports are used as network listener end-points use netstat -tlpn. If using the shoddy implementation of Microsoft's version of netstat, use the command line switches -a -b instead. And then try to figure out which entries are listeners (state should be listening and these are typically listed first).
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Processes running/trying to run on a port
                Paulie
                >

Hi Saikat, and welcome to the forums.

If you're running Windows, you could start by looking [url http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644]here.

But, you didn't tell us your OS or your version(s) of Oracle. You should always put them
                in every post.

Please take the time to read the forum FAQ.

Help us to help you - these forums are a great resource and you will get the maximum out of
                them if you follow the guidelines.

HTH,

Paul...
                Saikat
                • 5. Re: Processes running/trying to run on a port
                  SaikatBanerjee
                  Thanks a lot!

Although the portmon did not work in windows XP I used netstat to find out.

Do you have any idea why portmon showing "not connected" status?

Regards,
                  Saikat
                  • 6. Re: Processes running/trying to run on a port
                    Paulie
                    >

Hi again Saikat,
                    Although the portmon did not work in windows XP I used netstat to find out.
                    Do you have any idea why portmon showing "not connected" status?
                    I paid a quick visit to the sysinternals forums - found [url http://forum.sysinternals.com/portmon-303-trouble_topic27382.html]this! It doesn't work on my W7 Pro box either.

Apparently, there has been a problem with this utilty since January - tried getting 3.02
                    as suggested but it has been removed. My apologies for having recommended a dud.

I have to say that I'm surprised - normally sysinternals were nothing short of excellent.
                    Maybe the guy who runs it has too much on his plate - he's now also some sort
                    of cloud architect.

Go [url http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html]here for a utility that seems to do the trick.

HTH,

Paul...

Saikat
                    • 7. Re: Processes running/trying to run on a port
                      SaikatBanerjee
                      yes..the new link helped me find similar utility and thats working fine.

Thanks again.

Regards,
                      Saikat