9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 9:18 AM by 989797 RSS

Adjust "Max User Process" on Linux

I'm trying to install Oracle Database 11g R2 (11.2.0.3) on RHEL 6.3 Linux. The installer is showing the following:
      This is a prerequisite condition to test whether the soft limit for "maximum user processes" is set to at least 2047. (more details)
      Expected Value
       : 2047
      Actual Value
       : 1024
      Can someone please help me resolve this check so I can move ahead with the OUI? I've never modified something like this so I'm not sure where and how to go about doing so.
        • 1. Re: Adjust "Max User Process" on Linux
          Balazs Papp
          Do people ever read documentation nowadays?

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/pre_install.htm#BABIAIED
          • 2. Re: Adjust "Max User Process" on Linux
            Balazs Papp wrote:

I've followed the documentation from start to finish as it was suggested by your annoyed post...

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24326/toc.htm#BHCCADGD

The documentation linked above says nothing on how to resolve / adjust / correct this. Obviously I'm new to Oracle and there seem to be hundreds of docs (official / unofficial) all over the place with round about instructions for various things but not all are the same. If there was a Wiki guide that everyone could easily follow one document for then I could see your frustration on posting to the Internet. Regardless the doc you posted which differs from the one I was following seems to help. Sorry to inconvienence you but I searched the forum and nobody had asked this before.
            • 3. Re: Adjust "Max User Process" on Linux
              sb92075
              CarlosinFL wrote:
              Balazs Papp wrote:

I've followed the documentation from start to finish as it was suggested by your annoyed post...

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24326/toc.htm#BHCCADGD

The documentation linked above says nothing on how to resolve / adjust / correct this. Obviously I'm new to Oracle and there seem to be hundreds of docs (official / unofficial) all over the place with round about instructions for various things but not all are the same. If there was a Wiki guide that everyone could easily follow one document for then I could see your frustration on posting to the Internet. Regardless the doc you posted which differs from the one I was following seems to help. Sorry to inconvienence you but I searched the forum and nobody had asked this before.
              Problem is at OS level & has nothing to do with Oracle itself.
              Both URLs do show what needs to occur
              Just SEARCH for the "2047" value as indicated in Error Message
              • 4. Re: Adjust "Max User Process" on Linux
                Balazs Papp
                The documentation linked above says nothing on how to resolve / adjust / correct this.
                Are you serious? Try reading again, but let me help:

Table 2-1 Installation Owner Resource Limit Recommended Ranges
                Number of processes available to a single user
                nproc
                at least 2047
                at least 16384

*...*

If necessary, update the resource limits in the /etc/security/limits.conf configuration file for the installation owner. For example, add the following lines to the /etc/security/limits.conf file:

oracle              soft    nproc   2047
                oracle              hard    nproc   16384
                oracle              soft    nofile  1024
                oracle              hard    nofile  65536
                oracle              soft    stack   10240

Note:

The values mentioned in the previous example are illustrative and not actual values that must be added.

When the limits.conf file is changed, these changes take effect immediately. However, if the grid or oracle users are logged in, then these changes do not take effect until you log these users out and log them back in. You must do this before you use these accounts for installation.
                • 5. Re: Adjust "Max User Process" on Linux
                  sb92075 wrote:
                  Problem is at OS level & has nothing to do with Oracle itself.
                  Both URLs do show what needs to occur
                  Just SEARCH for the "2047" value as indicated in Error Message
                  Correct. I just never had to mess with a default distribution kernel before so that's why I asked here. I honestly have no idea which O.S. kernel parameter is for "Max User Process" so I just did the following:

If necessary, update the resource limits in the /etc/security/limits.conf configuration file for the installation owner. For example, add the following lines to the /etc/security/limits.conf file:

oracle              soft    nproc   2047
                  oracle              hard    nproc   16384
                  oracle              soft    nofile  1024
                  oracle              hard    nofile  65536
                  oracle              soft    stack   10240

Is this acceptable or wrong?
                  • 6. Re: Adjust "Max User Process" on Linux
                    sb92075
                    CarlosinFL wrote:

Is this acceptable or wrong?
                    if no more error, then it is acceptable; otherwise still wrong

A system reboot insures that any file changes get actually used by the OS.
                    • 7. Re: Adjust "Max User Process" on Linux
                      Balazs Papp wrote:
                      The documentation linked above says nothing on how to resolve / adjust / correct this.
                      Are you serious? Try reading again, but let me help:

Table 2-1 Installation Owner Resource Limit Recommended Ranges
                      Number of processes available to a single user
                      nproc
                      at least 2047
                      at least 16384
                      Now exactly how is anyone new to Oracle suppose to translate or know "Maximum User Process" kernel parameter is referenced on the O.S. level by 'nproc' alias?

I mean really...I understand your frustration but it's not like this pops up on Google directly referencing what you pointed out, right? You have to know that the following mentioned setting is referenced by the 'nproc' value which is still not clear to me after you reading it to me. I'm only making a relational assumption that since you posted 'nproc', it directly relates to the value of my question. Please don't flame or troll new users attempting to learn what obviously comes easy to you. I'm not trying to be lazy or give anyone a hard time here. Just learning Oracle...
                      • 8. Re: Adjust "Max User Process" on Linux
                        sb92075
                        I am just saying that if you had actually followed the Installation Guide,
                        no error would had ever been reported.

As Pogo once declared, "We have met the enemy, & they is us."

Oracle CLEARLY documented what is required for a successful installation.
                        Stop whining about problems that are of your own making!
                        • 9. Re: Adjust "Max User Process" on Linux
                          I agree with these guys that reading documentation is clearly required for a successful installation, although there were more tactful ways to respond to this persons question.

My background is a Linux Admin, not an Oracle DBA (although I have performed many installations).
                          Not to hijack a post, but these settings are for a successful INSTALLATION, but not a successful DEPLOYMENT. The "oracle" user is basically automated, and hence does not automatically increase the soft limit up to the hard limit value when the soft limit is reached (which is the entire purpose of the soft limit). If you have multiple instances on a server, run Java, Weblogic, OBIEE, etc then you are going to hit that 2047 limit real quick, and yes that is your limit.

Unfortunately, you can only read this link if you have a Red Hat login, but they officially recommend not setting a hard AND soft limit and rather setting one limit (basically the hard limit) for the Oracle user:
                          https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/solutions/22158

I was hoping the documents you all referenced had been updated to reflect this. I wish Oracle would officially take this stance and update their documentation as it has been wrong for quite some time now.