2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 9:37 AM by micheloe RSS

How to do Network configuration through GUI in OEL 6.3

i am a newbie to linux - i have installed Oracle Linux 6.3 in my laptop. i am trying to connect to wireless for which i need to do some configuration changes. However i cannot find the "Network" or "Network configuration" anywhere in the menu. Also system-config-network command is not giving me that GUI. I am using gnome desktop environment. Please help. I also noticed that NetworkManager daemon is running already.
        • 1. Re: How to do Network configuration through GUI in OEL 6.3
          Catch-22
          It looks like you have not selected the necessary desktop components during the installation. How did you install the Gnome desktop and which package groups did you select or not select?

Anyway, keep in mind that Enterprise Linux distributions, including Oracle Linux are not designed for Laptops. Support for wireless will generally be limited and will likely require 3rd party software drivers. If you have a reasonable Laptop with at least 4 GB of RAM and a modern x86_64 CPU with hardware virtualization support I highly recommend to install a product like Oracle free Virtualbox. With Virtualbox, the network connection (wifi) will be established by the primary OS, e.g. Windows or Mac OS X, and passed over to your Guest OS, e.g. Oracle Linux as a simple Ethernet adapter.
          • 2. Re: How to do Network configuration through GUI in OEL 6.3
            micheloe
            Try this from a shell:
            -----
            cd /etc/yum.repos.d
            wget http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-ol6.repo
            yum install NetworkManager-gnome
            -----
            It will configure your system for installation/updates through the Oracle public YUM repository and install the Gnome NetworkManager applet, pulling in dependencies when needed.