2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 9:18 AM by 947258 RSS

12 Month Year over Year comparision and hiding current month

I have a question rearding Web Analysis, but I think this might be more essbase.

I have written a report that shows me the following:

Jan- Feb- Mar- Apr - May - Jun - Jul - Aug - Sep - Oct - Nov - Dec
      This Year 2012 5 5 5 5 5 5 1
      Last Year 2011 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5

My problem is that my data is populated for all of last year and through July of this year, however I do not want to report July of this year yet, I only want to report June, as July is not closed yet. How do I tell the system it is ok to report 12 months from last year, but only to report through June of this year. When I tried to Hide June, it hid last years June as well.

I have A year dimension and a period dimension as well as the data dimension.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
        • 1. Re: 12 Month Year over Year comparision and hiding current month
          Stuart Game
          Hi Paul

That is the way that the multi-dimensionality works I'm afraid if you have periods in columns and years in rows then if you hide a period it will hide it for any years in your rows.

Depending upon what you need your report to look like one option is to stack years and periods in columns, that way you could then use the Hide function for the combination of 'This Year' & 'Jun'.

Other than that you are looking at either calculations on the report or in the underlying Essbase database. Is it only specific reports that you want to do this for or do you have a general policy of only including data for completed / closed periods?

If you have versions in your database then you could create a 'Final' or 'Reporting' version, then use a metric to set a flag 1 = report, #Mi = don't report and a calculation so that your new version only contains data values for periods you want to report. If you need to do year on year variance rpeorting you could also build the flag in to that.

Hope this helps
          Stuart
          • 2. Re: 12 Month Year over Year comparision and hiding current month
            Thanks Stuart.

Thats what I thought. I think I will create a reporting version, that only has through the reporting month. That will probably suffice.

Thanks again.

Paul