This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2012 4:55 AM by Dude! RSS

OEL 5.6 : df -h is showing 100% used space even 1.7G space is available

Priyanka Pawar Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We have installed Oracle EBS R12 on OEL. We are using following version.
Oracle EBS : 12.1.1
OEL : 5.6

We are facing issue of Server is taking long time to respond whenever we try to login to EBS R12. For checking Space on OEL server executed following command,
# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 448G 423G 1.7G 100% /
/dev/sda1 145M 13M 125M 10% /boot
tmpfs 1008M 1.4M 1007M 1% /dev/shm

Server is taking long time to execute commands also. I am new to OEL so can anyone guide me to find, how can we improve performance of the server ? Do i need to clear any log files ? Reply awaited ...

Regards,
Priyanka

Edited by: Priyanka Pawar on Jul 31, 2012 1:07 PM
  • 1. Re: OEL 5.6 : df -h is showing 100% used space even 1.7G space is available
    Dude! Guru
    Your disk is simply full. Although the system reserves some space for root in order to operate the system, processes are most likely not able to allocate enough resources and slow down the system. I'm pretty sure the system will come to an end soon. You will need to find out what is taking 440 GB of space on your server.

If the server is still responding you can try the following command to get started, otherwise you will need to dig in manually.

<pre>
    du -sh /*
    </pre>
  • 2. Re: OEL 5.6 : df -h is showing 100% used space even 1.7G space is available
    Priyanka Pawar Newbie
    Thanks for the reply.. After executing command "du -sh /* " came to know that one of the directory is used to keep backup files of size 125G. I have removed it and now 54% of the space is available for use..

How can we increase performance of the server at OS level ? like are there any tasks which we need to perform periodically ??

Regards,
    Priyanka

Edited by: Priyanka Pawar on Jul 31, 2012 3:18 PM
  • 3. Re: OEL 5.6 : df -h is showing 100% used space even 1.7G space is available
    Dude! Guru
    The system normally already performs some periodic maintenance tasks. You can check ls /etc/cron* for more details. Otherwise, addressing performance depends on your hardware and software configuration, expectation and use. It will require a lot more details to be able to make any recommendation.

In your case it seems that checking that your system does not run out of disk space is a critical issue.

Perhaps you will find the following helpful. I provided a script that will monitor disk space and email you when it reaches a defined threshold. You can add it to your cron configuration.
    Disk Space monitoring in unix

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points