4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 1:41 PM by 783124

Matching import and export files

Is there a way to pair up imported files with the exported .Dat files and .err error files? We are running the batch process (using upsShell.exe executed via a scheduled batch script) to import CSV files and export them to Essbase, and have had several of the .Dat files fail. Nothing is recorded in the <username>.err log, the only indication of failures are the numerous .err files that accompany the .Dat export files in the Outbox.

Since we have loaded numerous files against the same location (which is the prefix for the .Dat and .err files), we have numerous .err files which have very similar names. For example:

LOCATION001.Err
      LOCATION002.Err
      LOCATION003.Err
      Etc...

But there is no indication as to which of the imported data files these error files actually relate to! For example:

A~LOCATION~WLCAT~PERIOD1~RA.csv
      B~LOCATION~WLCAT~PERIOD1~RA.csv
      C~LOCATION~WLCAT~PERIOD1~RA.csv
      Etc...

Is there a way to identify which .Err file relates to which .CSV file?
        • 1. Re: Matching import and export files
          JeffJon
          There is not a way to do this that I am aware of. The .dat file is independent of the source file, as it contains mapped data. The error file is being returned from Essbase at load time. The error file would relate to the .dat file and not the source file.
          • 2. Re: Matching import and export files
            I wouldn't say that the .dat file is completely independent of the source file, since the .dat file essentially contains mapped data directly or indirectly from the source file, and wouldn't be generated without it.

It is a shame that FDM does not generate some sort of useful batch processing log which details steps like this, for example:

2012:08:02 13:41 Import: A~LOCATION~WLCAT~PERIOD1~RA.csv
            2012:08:02 13:42 Validate: Imported data
            2012:08:02 13:43 Export: LOCATION001.Err
            2012:08:02 13:43 Check: etc

This way, one would clearly be able to match problematic .Dat files with the original source file, and then look at fixing the source file if this was the root of the problem. I cannot see at present how one is supposed to do this when faced with many load files and error files.

Is there anything else I might have missed here?
            • 3. Re: Matching import and export files
              I wouldn't say that the .dat file is completely independent of the source file, since the .dat file essentially contains mapped data directly or indirectly from the source file, and wouldn't be generated without it.

It is a shame that FDM does not generate some sort of useful batch processing log which details steps like this, for example:

2012:08:02 13:41 Import: A~LOCATION~WLCAT~PERIOD1~RA.csv
              2012:08:02 13:42 Validate: Imported data
              2012:08:02 13:43 Export: LOCATION001.Err
              2012:08:02 13:43 Check: etc

This way, one would clearly be able to match problematic .Dat files with the original source file, and then look at fixing the source file if this was the root of the problem. I cannot see at present how one is supposed to do this when faced with many load files and error files.

Is there anything else I might have missed here?
              • 4. Re: Matching import and export files
                Apologies for the repeated message above - Oracle Forums technical problems again...