This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2012 2:45 PM by 953342 RSS

some help in understanding the concepts

953342 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I found that the smartcards e.g. JCOP cards can differ from each other even if they use the same java card version and the same GP such as the differences in the cryptographic features ? what is the cause of these differences ? I mean which part of the card responsible of this ?
- does that mean that every card has its own OS in addition to the GP and JC ?

- and what is the relation between JCOP (java card open platform ) and the global platform ?

- right know I have JCOP31/36k , how can I know the JC version ?

any help will be appreciated
  • 1. Re: some help in understanding the concepts
    safarmer Expert
    950339 wrote:
    I found that the smartcards e.g. JCOP cards can differ from each other even if they use the same java card version and the same GP such as the differences in the cryptographic features ? what is the cause of these differences ? I mean which part of the card responsible of this ?
    The JCRE spec defines different API's etc and parts of this are optional. The JCRE implementer is free to decide which of the optional parts they implement.
    - does that mean that every card has its own OS in addition to the GP and JC ?
    Yes. Every card is developed with a chip and a JCRE. The JCRE may be build into the OS or on top depending on how deeply integrated with the hardware it is.
    - and what is the relation between JCOP (java card open platform ) and the global platform ?
    JCOP is NXP's implementation of Java Card that runs on the SmartMX family of cards. GlobalPlatform is a standard for managing card content (loading and personlising applets etc).
    - right know I have JCOP31/36k , how can I know the JC version ?
    Send "80 CA 00 66 00" to the card manager. This is the card recognition data and the response is outlined in the GP card spec. You can get the GP version and the major.minor version of JC. This will not differentiate between JC 2.2.1 and JC 2.2.2 though.

Shane
  • 2. Re: some help in understanding the concepts
    953342 Newbie
    thanks a lot for your answer

however, I still have some doubts in regards to the java card OS
    so there's JCOP and can I say that sm@rtcafe is another operating system ?
    what about sm@rtcafe JCOP cards ! what operating system do they have ?
    and what the content of the card OS ? is it APIs ? cryptographic features ?
    and does the implementation of the global platform included in the card OS or in the Java Card Platform ?

please I need some clarification, I read a lot but it doesn't seem very clear to me yet :(
  • 3. Re: some help in understanding the concepts
    safarmer Expert
    so there's JCOP and can I say that sm@rtcafe is another operating system ?
    You are better off looking at them as platforms and not operating systems, but yes they are different.
    what about sm@rtcafe JCOP cards ! what operating system do they have ?
    I am not aware of these cards.
    and what the content of the card OS ? is it APIs ? cryptographic features ?
    The thing you care about is the JCRE. This inclused the JCVM and JC API.
    and does the implementation of the global platform included in the card OS or in the Java Card Platform ?
    As far as I can tell, the specs are loosely defined enough that it could be either (or completely independent). I have not had to implement my own yet so I cannot say for sure.

- Shane

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points