1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2012 1:00 PM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Database Tuning
        4. Why are you even asking me to do such a ridiculous thing when there is no rhyme or reason for it?
        i'm sorry if i take your time or offended you in anyway,
        i'm a university student who is currently doing an internship with an IT Consultant
        and they give me a case and i don't have an oracle background
        You misunderstood me. Question #4 (like the other three) is a question that, facetiously, you should ask your supervisor.
        • 16. Re: Database Tuning
          1. Why do they think anything needs tuned?
          well, the time it takes to process a report is taking too long.
          Good! That is a valid reason to examine what is going on.
          2. What is the list of things that they think need tuned?
          they already give me the module to tune, and as just like i stated before
          i've already done the SQL tuning,
          If you've already done the SQL tuning and the report is still taking too long maybe you missed something.

Post the steps that you took to identify and fix the problem with the report. What was the reason you found for the report taking so long? What did you do to fix that problem? Did your solution help? By how much?
          but then they ask me
          can i do some configuration tuning?
          Now you are back to the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" stage. So clarify that statement. Were you ask to 'do some configuration tuning' or were you ask to determine if tuning needed to be done?

Like you stated above in #1 (a report is running slow) there is usuallly something going on that suggests sthat things might need tuned or that things aren't running the way that they usually run. You need to find out what these indicators are.
          • 17. Re: Database Tuning
            A few more things come to mind:

You should post the exact Oracle version (select banner from v$version;) and the exact operating system (uname -a if unix or similar). Go through the installation manuals for your platform and check to see that all changes have been made as recommended. If you have MOS (oracle support) access there may be updates to that, too. Look in the Oracle alert log for the last startup, it should have the non-default init.ora parameters listed - look in the docs and see what those do. Also, look there for any errors, and understand any you find. On some platforms async configurations are often got wrong, on some memory configuration, and some platforms put out lots of trace files - look in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/*dump directories, if you see 1000's of files, you might wonder why. Sometimes over time simply running backups every day can make little audit files, that add up.
            1 2 Previous Next