12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2012 8:41 AM by 958952 RSS

Sending an Email using Notification Task

user9330447
      Hi All,

How can we send an email using notification task?? Can someone provide me the steps to achieve this.

Is it possible to send email to multiple users at a time??

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
          vladodias
          user9330447 wrote:
          How can we send an email using notification task?? Can someone provide me the steps to achieve this.
          Have a look on the following doc...
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/integration.1111/e10224/bp_notif.htm
          Is it possible to send email to multiple users at a time??
          Yes, for the To, CC, and Bcc fields, separate multiple addresses with a semicolon (;)

Cheers,
          Vlad
          • 2. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
            user9330447
            Hi Vlad,

Thank you very much for your reply. I want use this in BPM process and not in BPEL process. Could you please provide me the steps to do this or some example for the same.

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
              vladodias
              I reckon they both use the same infrastructure services, have a look at this
              http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/integration.1111/e10224/bp_worklist.htm#BABHJJBF

And this
              http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/integration.1111/e10224/bp_worklist.htm#SOASE809

Not sure if that's what you're looking for... But may be helpful anyway...

Cheers,
              Vlad
              • 4. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
                Daniel Atwood
                If you are using 11.1.1.5 with the feature pack or 11.1.1.6 you can use the new Notification activity to send emails from an Oracle BPM process.

Vlad has mentioned this in the above http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/integration.1111/e10224/bp_notif.htm link.

Dan
                • 5. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
                  user9330447
                  Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply, I am using 11.1.1.6 only. I wan to use the notification task along with the BPM process and not with the BPEL process.

can I have some sample BPM process, start event -> Notification Task -> End Event.

I just want to provide mail id in the notification task and run this.

As I am new to this BPM world. Could you please provide me the proper steps to achieve the above scenario and the steps to test this.

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
                    Daniel Atwood
                    Good you're on 11.1.1.6. The link in Vlad and copied into my response should help then.

You'd fill in the fields for the to, from, subject, cc, message body using variable(s) you populated upstream in the process.

You're not there yet, but most people struggle (me included) getting the email server set up to send the emails once the process is deployed and running. Here are the steps:

In Enterprise Manager:

1. Expand "SOA" -> right mouse click "soa-infra" -> click "SOA Administration" -> click "Workflow Notification Properties".
                    2. Select "Email" from the Notification Mode dropdown and enter email adresses for the three fields.
                    3. Expand "User Message Service" -> right mouse click "usermessagingdriver-email" -> click "Email Driver Properties".
                    4. Scroll down until you see the email server properties -> enter the appropriate values in these fields: OutgoingMailServer, OutgoingUsername, OutgoingPassword.

Verify that the user(s) you want to send emails to have an email address set. If you are using the default WebLogic security, in the WebLogic Console:
                    5. Click "Security Realms" -> click "myrealm".
                    6. Click the "Users and Groups" tab -> click the "User" tab.
                    7. Click the user id of the user you will be sending email to.
                    8. Click the "Attributes" tab -> make sure the "mail" attribute has a valid email address. If it does not have an email address, once you have entered it, be sure to hit the Enter* key to have it stick in the field.
                    • 7. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
                      user9330447
                      Hi Daniel,

That was really useful and helpful. I am going to try that.

But, tell me one if I want to send from some mailserver and from mail address abc@xyz.com to address is def@reg.com. So in that case is ist necessary to add the 'To' email addresses in the realms??

Please help in this.

Thanks
                      • 8. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
                        Daniel Atwood
                        Good point.

You'd just need to modify the email address in the security realm or LDAP if you were assigning the human task to someone (e.g. user id "datwood") and that user indicated that they want to receive email notifications when a work item instance is assigned to them.

If all you are doing is sending emails using the notifiation activity like you are doing, then you're passing in the email addresses (e.g. "datwood@avioconsulting.com") and would not need to do this. You'd still probably want to do this at some point before it goes into production though.

Dan
                        • 9. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
                          user9330447
                          Hi Daniel,

I am getting this below exception.

Query: UpdateAllQuery(name="CubeInstance.updateState" referenceClass=CubeInstance sql="UPDATE CUBE_INSTANCE SET STATE = ? WHERE (CIKEY = ?)"); nested exception is: Exception [EclipseLink-4002] (Eclipse Persistence Services - 2.3.1.v20111018-r10243): org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
                          Internal Exception: java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: ORA-02049: timeout: distributed transaction waiting for lock
                          • 10. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
                            user9330447
                            Once again Thank you Daniel. I am trying that. Still getting some errors. I will checking all the configurations once again.

Also, could you please help me in clarifing this issue also.

Exposing as a webservice

Thanks in advance.
                            • 11. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
                              user9330447
                              Hi Daniel,

As per your suggestion I did the implementation.

I configured the Outgoing Mail Server, Port.

And in the 'To' list i provided the mail ids that belong to the same domain. I am able to recieve the mails.

But, when I am giving the mail ids other than the same domain(configured in the outgoing mail server) not able to recieve those mails getting some error "Reason: Invalid Addresses>
                              ".

Also, how can I dynamically change the body of the mail.

please help me in solving this issue.

Thanks
                              • 12. Re: Sending an Email using Notification Task
                                Hi All,
                                I am using Oracle BPM 11.1.1.3. Does it have Notification task? Is it possible to send email notification through 11.1.1.3? If yes, can you please point me to step by step procedure to do so.

Thanks a ton.