6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 12:06 PM by Mehabub Sheikh

OutOfMemory error while creating i.war for APEX images

Mehabub Sheikh
      Hi,

I was trying to install Apex Listener 1.4 on Weblogic server.
      As part of the setup steps I need to create i.war file for APEX images.
      So I followed the instruction 'jar -cvf0 C:\apex_listener\1.4\i.war -C C:\apex_4.1.1\apex\images .'
      But it is throwing

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
      at sun.tools.jar.Main.expand(Compiled Code)
      at sun.tools.jar.Main.run(Main.java:89)
      at sun.tools.jar.Main.main(Main.java:516)
      I am using Windows XP and JRE is 1.7

Could you please help?

Thanks,
      Mehabub
        • 1. Re: OutOfMemory error while creating i.war for APEX images
          Udo
          Hi Mehabub,
          I am using Windows XP and JRE is 1.7
          First of all, please note that the documentation lists a "JDK" to be required. This may not be the issue here, but probably will cause (other) issues later.
          java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
          ... is a pretty clear error message. Did you check the memory parameters for your WLS? And did you check it's state before your tried to deploy an additional application?
          I'd simply try to increase the maximum amount of heap space available to your WLS. If this doesn't work, please provide the information concerning the checks mentioned before.

-Udo
          • 2. Re: OutOfMemory error while creating i.war for APEX images
            Mehabub Sheikh
            I did not even use WLS. I simply tried to create i.war file and it gave me the error message.
            So WLS does not even come to picture.
            Please help.

Thanks,
            Mehabub
            • 3. Re: OutOfMemory error while creating i.war for APEX images
              Udo
              I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. So this is more a general Java (jar) issue than something actually related to APEX Listener...
              Did you receive any other output when issuing that statement? Has the target file i.war been created yet?
              Do you have a JDK 1.6 you could use to try to create that file?

-Udo
              • 4. Re: OutOfMemory error while creating i.war for APEX images
                Mehabub Sheikh
                Thanks for you input. I installed JDK 1.6 and was able to create i.war file.
                But When I tried to deploy this WLS I am getting the following error message

Unable to access the selected application.
                Exception in AppMerge flows' progression
                Exception in AppMerge flows' progression
                C:\Program Files\Oracle\BI Publisher Trial Edition\bip\server\domains\bipdomain\servers\bipserver\tmp\.appmergegen_1344262693203_i.war\C:\apex_4.1.1\apex\images\16admin.gif (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)::Probably the string length of the path of the file being extracted was too long or failed to overwrite the file
                C:\Program Files\Oracle\BI Publisher Trial Edition\bip\server\domains\bipdomain\servers\bipserver\tmp\.appmergegen_1344262693203_i.war\C:\apex_4.1.1\apex\images\16admin.gif (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)::Probably the string length of the path of the file being extracted was too long or failed to overwrite the file

Is it some thing related to war not created properly?
                I used the following command jar -cvf0 C:\apex_listener\1.4\i.war C:\apex_4.1.1\apex\images.
                Did I miss something?

Please help.
                • 5. Re: OutOfMemory error while creating i.war for APEX images
                  Udo
                  I used the following command jar -cvf0 C:\apex_listener\1.4\i.war C:\apex_4.1.1\apex\images.
                  Did I miss something?
                  Yes, you didn't use the documented command switches. The way you created the war, you included C:\apex_4.1.1\apex\images in your archive... You had that command right in your first post:
                  jar -cvf0 C:\apex_listener\1.4\i.war -C C:\apex_4.1.1\apex\images .
                  The option -C will (temporarily) change the directory to the images path and start to add files and directories from there.

Note that there is another way to make static contents (like APEX images) available on WLS: Use a virtual-directory-mapping. There is a nice [url http://krisrice.blogspot.de/2011/07/apex-listener-wls-serving-static-files.html]video tutorial by Kris you adapt to your scenario. That approach makes creating a war file obsolete, which is especially helpful when you add and update custom content (like custom themes) for APEX frequently.

-Udo
                  • 6. Re: OutOfMemory error while creating i.war for APEX images
                    Mehabub Sheikh
                    Thanks for the information. I am able to deploy APEX in WLS now.

Thanks,
                    Mehabub