This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 4:28 PM by EJP RSS

Java rmi vs Corba

954721 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello guys, I'm currently doing research trying to conduct a performance evaluation on java rmi and corba. To do this I have built a chat application and a file transfer application using both technologies (java rmi and corba) I will be using sockets for the client/server communication, I am currently testing for, memory usage of the client application, average data throughput, total packets sent and lost and cpu times for both client and server, I'm still researching on the best possible way to conduct the test and would appreciate it if anyone could help me on what tools to use and ways to conduct this test, thanks...
  • 1. Re: Java rmi vs Corba
    EJP Guru
    I will be using sockets for the client/server communication
    You will be using RMI or Corba for the client/server communication actually.
    I am currently testing for, memory usage of the client application, average data throughput, total packets sent and lost and cpu times for both client and server
    You should also test latency
    I'm still researching on the best possible way to conduct the test and would appreciate it if anyone could help me on what tools to use and ways to conduct this test, thanks...
    You could probably automate it using JMeter. Very handy thing. You can write both the client and the server in Java, using either RMI/IIOP or IDLJ for the Corba part. No particular reason not to use RMI/IIOP that I can see, it's just a thin layer over the other, more or less, and it's much easier to program.
  • 2. Re: Java rmi vs Corba
    RavagliVirgilio Newbie
    Native RMI is much simpler than Corba, but it's much more rudimental.
    I think you can't only warry about performance and so on, a good Croba system, like Orbacus 4.3 or Jacorb 3.1, offers you a lot of functionalities obviously not permitted by RMI.
    In my opinion, on a LAN Corba is still a good choice
  • 3. Re: Java rmi vs Corba
    EJP Guru
    Native RMI is much simpler than Corba, but it's much more rudimental.
    I assume you meant 'rudimentary'.
    I think you can't only warry about performance and so on, a good Croba system, like Orbacus 4.3 or Jacorb 3.1, offers you a lot of functionalities obviously not permitted by RMI.
    But his question is about performance measurement.
    In my opinion, on a LAN Corba is still a good choice
    You're ten weeks late with that unsolicited opinion.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points