This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 9:54 PM by Madhu.149 RSS

Reg Standby Configuration method

Madhu.149 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello All,

I have two database servers DB1(as primary) and DB2(as standby)
DB1 is currently online and DB2 is in mount state.
I am using "Oracle Server-Standard Edition 11g R2", " version: 11.2.0.1"
So it is not possible to perform switchover.

I am generating the archive log from DB1 for every 1 hour and applying it to DB2 through batch program.
If my DB1 fails. I am switching to DB2 just by changing(switching) the IP address.
And I am not performing the actual database switchover.

How good is this configuration?
What are the problems that may occur in future?
Also, customers are performing bank transactions. Will this configuration affect the transaction at any time?
Do I need to migrate to oracle enterprise edition?

Thanks,
Madhu
  • 1. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    CKPT Guru
    I have two database servers DB1(as primary) and DB2(as standby)
    DB1 is currently online and DB2 is in mount state.
    I am using "Oracle Server-Standard Edition 11g R2", " version: 11.2.0.1"
    So it is not possible to perform switchover.
    Yes, its not possible to perform switchover, I guess we already discussed on this.
    I am generating the archive log from DB1 for every 1 hour and applying it to DB2 through batch program.
    If my DB1 fails. I am switching to DB2 just by changing(switching) the IP address.
    And I am not performing the actual database switchover.
    If you change just IP address to point DB2, then you can perform only READ operations, because still its an standby database.
    To enable in READ and WRITE mode, you must perform FAIL-OVER. So forget about Switchover Term.
    How good is this configuration?
    What are the problems that may occur in future?
    Also, customers are performing bank transactions. Will this configuration affect the transaction at any time?
    Do I need to migrate to oracle enterprise edition?
    If customer is banking, he wont think on cost.. So you must migrate it to Enterprise edition.
  • 2. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    Madhu.149 Newbie
    Thank you...
  • 3. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    Madhu.149 Newbie
    Hi,
    If you change just IP address to point DB2, then you can perform only READ operations, because still its an standby database.
    To enable in READ and WRITE mode, you must perform FAIL-OVER. So forget about Switchover Term.
    Can I open the standby database in read write mode by switching the control files of primary and standby.
    Since I am applying the archive log every one hour to standby database, after failure of primary, Can I make my standby as primary (i.e by switching control files and by opening the standby database)

If the above operation is possible, is there any chance of losing some transactions that occurred on old primary?

Can the new primary become exact replica of the old primary?

Thanks,
    Madhu
  • 4. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    Madhu.149 Newbie
    Can I use
    SQL> alter database activate standby database;
    to activate the standby database

Thanks,
    Madhu
  • 5. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    955059 Explorer
    HI Madhu.149 !

Before you configure Standby on Standart Edition, read next ->

Thread: DB standby with 10g Standard Edition
    Re: DB standby with 10g Standard Edition

Manual Standby Database under Oracle Standard Edition
    http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora10g/manual_standby.shtml

Oracle Failover Options
    http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_failover.htm
  • 6. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    955059 Explorer
    Madhu.149     

Total Posts:     53
    Total Questions:     *13 (5 unresolved)*
  • 7. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    Madhu.149 Newbie
    My question is
    Can I switch the standby database to primary in a short span of time, with the configuration I have?

If Yes, Is there any chance of losing certain logs from primary after failure?

will the statement "SQL> alter database activate standby database;" make the standby database to primary without errors.

Thanks,
    Madhu
  • 8. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    Sunny kichloo Expert
    Is there any chance of losing certain logs from primary after failure?
    Why you would loose primary logs or you are talking about standby database??

You can perform failover by converting standby to primary with below mentioned command
    SQL> alter database activate standby database;
  • 9. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    mseberg Guru
    Madhu;

Oracle Server-Standard Edition 11g R2

Is it possible several people have Replied without seeing the "Oracle Server-Standard Edition 11g R2" in the first post?

Questions :
    Can I switch the standby database to primary in a short span of time, with the configuration I have?
    No idea. Its just not Data Guard. The only way to know would be to setup a test system and test.
    If Yes, Is there any chance of losing certain logs from primary after failure?
    Will asuume yes to the first question. I would be concerned about this. I'm thinking yes is the answer.
    will the statement "SQL> alter database activate standby database;" make the standby database to primary without errors.
    Again the only way to know would be to setup a test system and test.

Data Guard Concepts and Administration 11g Release 2 (11.2) E10700-02 States

It is possible to simulate a standby database environment with databases running Oracle Database Standard Edition.

But the details to your questions do not exist in that document.

So unless somebody has set this up and tested this I don't know how they can really answer your questions.

They are good questions and I believe this is probably the best place to ask them.

But make sure the answers you get are not those from somebody assuming you are using Data Guard.

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Aug 14, 2012 10:10 AM
  • 10. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    955059 Explorer
    Standby database technology in Oracle is a powerful high availability solution.
    Even if you're using Oracle SE, you can still take advantage of these features built into Oracle, with just a little scripting, hand holding, and ample monitoring.
    Do your research, test, test, and test again on a development server.
    And don't forget to monitor all your logfiles for errors.
  • 11. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    420678 Newbie
    Standby databases are available with Oracle EE, SE, SE1 and XE.
    Most people do not realise that Data Guard is a process on top of the normal "standby database" architecture that has been around since Oracle 7.3. The standby database in EE (with DG) is slightly different in that there are standby redo logs which do not exist in SE/SE1/XE but the essence is the same.

Only with Oracle EE do you get DG and so the whole standby database process has been automated. There are 2 other options with SE, SE1 and XE:
    1) Do it yourself. It sounds easy to do but to do it so that you create a fully robust system that is stress resistant under all circumstances is difficult. Why does Oracle otherwise charge a premium to upgrade to EE to use DG?
    2) Third party solutions such as Dbvisit Standby.

To answer your questions:
    Is there any chance of losing certain logs from primary after failure?
    I think what you are referring to is "Is there a chance to loose data when the primary fails and the standby has to be activated?"
    The answer is yes, unless you use DG in maximum protection (in essence a 2-phase commit), there is always a potential to loose data as not all the redo may have been copied to the standby server. This is the case with EE, SE and SE1
    Yes this is how you activate a standby database in SE, SE1 and XE. If you have created the standby database correctly (using standby controlfiles), all datafiles are online, no tablespaces in backup mode, then it will not error.
    Yes switchover where you switch the roles between primary and standby for a short span of time is available in EE, SE, SE1 and XE. In EE with DG this has been automated, but with Dbvisit Standby switchover has been automated for SE, SE1, and XE.
    Switchover involves swapping the redo logs and controlfiles between primary and standby database. There is no dataloss in a switchover situation.
  • 12. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    Madhu.149 Newbie
    Hi,

Thank you.
  • 13. Re: Reg Standby Configuration method
    Madhu.149 Newbie
    The below statement was successful after applying all the archives to standby.
    "SQL> alter database activate standby database;"
    Later I checked the open_mode.
    It showed "Read Write" mode

Thanks,
    Madhu

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points