4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2012 3:39 AM by 415289 RSS

streams pool

sonidba
      When does streams pool use automatically during the course of database operations. For example, are there any uses of streams pool while taking backup and recovery or are they being used for export and import operations.
      I have not explicitly configured streams pool.
        • 1. Re: streams pool
          Karan
          even if you have not configured streams pool data pump would take memory from it... It is also used for streams where capture process reads the queue

Regards
          Karan
          • 2. Re: streams pool
            When does streams pool use automatically during the course of database operations.
            Datapump uses it.

Oracle Data Pump uses Streams functionality to communicate between processes. If the SGA_TARGET initialization parameter is set, then the STREAMS_POOL_SIZE initialization parameter is automatically set to a reasonable value.
            If the SGA_TARGET initialization parameter is not set and the STREAMS_POOL_SIZE initialization parameter is not defined, then the size of the streams pool automatically defaults to 10% of the size of the shared pool.
            When the streams pool is created, the required SGA memory is taken from memory allocated to the buffer cache, reducing the size of the cache to less than what was specified by the DB_CACHE_SIZE initialization parameter. This means that if the buffer cache was configured with only the minimal required SGA, then Data Pump operations may not work properly. A minimum size of 10M is recommended for STREAMS_POOL_SIZE in order to ensure successful Data Pump operations.

Source http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28319/dp_perf.htm#i1007295
            • 3. Re: streams pool
              sonidba
              Are there any other utillity/operations that use it(besides data pump) even if I have I have not configured stream spool.

Thanks .
              • 4. Re: streams pool
                Are there any other utillity/operations that use it(besides data pump) even if I have I have not configured stream spool.
                Oracle Streams(replication Technology)