This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2012 9:15 PM by 954968 RSS

OL6 differences in repositories ...

954968 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi:

We have a set of machines running OL6 that we want to keep at the same update level. Is there a page that describes the differences between what is in ol6_ga_base vs. ol6_u1_base vs. xxx.

We have been using ol6_latest, but that has lead to having inconsistent rpm versions in a few cases, which causes us issues. So we would like to stick to a specific update, and then update everything at ones, but want to know what the differences between updates is.

thanks
Mark
  • 1. Re: OL6 differences in repositories ...
    Avi Miller Guru
    951965 wrote:
    We have a set of machines running OL6 that we want to keep at the same update level. Is there a page that describes the differences between what is in ol6_ga_base vs. ol6_u1_base vs. xxx.
    Nope. The base repository is what ships on the DVD for each update release. There is also a patch repository for each update release which are the patches that were published after the update was released but before the next update.
    We have been using ol6_latest, but that has lead to having inconsistent rpm versions in a few cases, which causes us issues. So we would like to stick to a specific update, and then update everything at ones, but want to know what the differences between updates is.
    The difference is the point-release of each package. Note that major/minor versions do not change throughout the life of a major release. This the point of enterprise Linux distributions. The updates are bug fixes and/or security back ports only. In rare cases, new major versions are released, but are named specifically, i.e. in OL5, there are php and php53 RPMs, so you need to consciously upgrade from the original major/minor PHP release to 5.3
  • 2. Re: OL6 differences in repositories ...
    954968 Newbie
    Okay. So the issue we're trying to figure out is how to ensure that our machines are all running exactly the same versions of rpms as each other. We image our systems to OL6 using a kickstart file, do a wget http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-ol6.repo, and then use yum to add in a few dozen other packages. We then do some scripting to enable one of the repos in public-yum-ol6.repo. Due to a shortcoming in the script, we end up always enabling the first entry, which in one case is [ol6_ga_base] and in another case [ol6_ga_latest]. Clearly not a recipe for consistent systems.

So, I think my question boils down to: what is the difference betwee latest, ga_base, uXbase? Is _latest something that is periodically updated, meaning that if I image systems at different times, I might get different versions of packages?

Likewise, are the uXbase and gabase repos locked, meaning that their underlying rpm package versions will never change?
  • 3. Re: OL6 differences in repositories ...
    Dude! Guru
    GA means "Generally Available" for production use. It's the first release version that comes after developer and beta releases. The next update is called U1, U2 and so on. For instance:

ol6_ga_base = Oracle Linux 6
    ol6_u1_base = Oracle Linux 6 update 1
    ol6_u2_base = Oracle Linux 6 update 2

Base means it is the same software repository as found on the official distribution media - it won't change.

The ol6_latest repository contains all patches and currently available upgrades. So for instance if you use Oracle Linux 6.1, have ol6_latest enabled, and then use "yum update", your installation will be updated to Oracle Linux 6.3 including all interim patches.

If you would just like to get specific interim updates for a previous release version, for instance Oracle Linux 6.2 you will need to get a ULN subscription.

For reference: Re: Oracle Public YUM errata for a particular release version
  • 4. Re: OL6 differences in repositories ...
    954968 Newbie
    Okay, I think that answers my question. I think what we want to do then is enable something like ol6_u2_base (6.2) and maybe ol6_UEK_base, and stick with that until ol6_u3_base is available. At that time, pull down a new repo file, enable _u4, and yum upgrade everything at the same time.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • 5. Re: OL6 differences in repositories ...
    Avi Miller Guru
    951965 wrote:
    Okay, I think that answers my question. I think what we want to do then is enable something like ol6_u2_base (6.2) and maybe ol6_UEK_base, and stick with that until ol6_u3_base is available. At that time, pull down a new repo file, enable _u4, and yum upgrade everything at the same time.
    Actually, your best bet is to setup a local yum server using http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/linux/yum-repository-setup-085606.html and then lock the repository used by the downstream servers by sending your own .repo file during the kickstart. The yum server can then periodically update itself and when you've completed testing on a particular upstream repository, you can then release that to your downstream servers.

Or, if you have Oracle Linux support, you have full access to Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control, which can do all of this for you, including showing you configuration/package drift on each server.
  • 6. Re: OL6 differences in repositories ...
    Dude! Guru
    I think it will be easier for you to use a modified copy of http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-ol6.repo for your installation.

The ol6_latest repository is enabled by default, but you can simply disable it, and instead enable the base repository for the version of Oracle Linux you are installing.

Of course you won't get interim updates that were release in-between update release, but your installations will be exactly according to the distribution, e.g. Oracle Linux 6 update 3.

For instance: When Oracle Linux 6 update 4 releases, download a new repo file an all computers and do the same: Disable the OL6_latest channel and enable the OL6_U4_base channel. Then use yum update. This way all your installations will be on the same patch level.

If you require interim patches, you can create your own software repository like Avi outlined, or temporary update the ol6_latest channel on demand for testing, but your setup will get a lot more complex. In that case I'd rather go for a ULN subscription to add a special patch channel for a previous release version required.
  • 7. Re: OL6 differences in repositories ...
    954968 Newbie
    Thanks for the replies. Not sure which solution (local yum repo, or just reference a fixed _base one) we will use, but either one gets us where we want to go.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points