3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 10:17 AM by Joe Weinstein-Oracle RSS

Weblogic XA Datasource 'Connection Total Count' going very high

Hi All,

I am using Oracle's SOA Suite.
      I am using a Weblogic based XA Datasource to connect my JCA Resource Adapter to my DB.

Now the Max capacity of DS is 70. Under load what we are observing in DS monitoring section is:

The 'Active Connections High Count' max goes till 45, i.e. the Datasource still has not reached its upper cap.
      But the 'Connection Total Count' goes beyond 10000!!

Now that can happen only if my application is hard closing the connections after usage, instead of releasing them back to DS.
      But we are only using Logical Connections and don't touch the underlying Vendor connection directly.

Based on above, even the the 'Remove Infected Connections Enabled' property of DS, which is by default 'true', should not make any difference.

Anyone, any idea, why should the 'Connection Total Count' of a XA Datasource would reach so high?

Thanks in anticipation.

• 1. Re: Weblogic XA Datasource 'Connection Total Count' going very high
          Joe Weinstein-Oracle
          Try setting the 'remove infected' to false. Either some application needs it, or the pool is continually finding
          connections failing the simple pre-reserve test, and having to replace them. This is costing you performance...
          • 2. Re: Weblogic XA Datasource 'Connection Total Count' going very high
            Hi Joe,

We had disabled 'Test Connections On Reserve'.

But the 'Test Frequency' is set to 120 secs and 'Seconds to Trust an Idle Pool Connection' is set to 10 secs.
            I am trying to check if that is the cause.

Test Table SQL being used with 'Test Frequency' is - "SELECT 1 FROM DUAL"... so its not the SQL issue.

Thanks,
            --Inder                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
            • 3. Re: Weblogic XA Datasource 'Connection Total Count' going very high
              Joe Weinstein-Oracle
              Those aren't going to cause the 'problem', unless the connections are bad. 'Remove Infected Connections Enabled'=false is an important thing to try. The log should have indications of why connections are being closed. It may be simply that your pool is configured to allow shrinking, so it builds up a big number of connections when needed, and at downtimes, it closes them.