13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 1:55 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

Migration

user13653962
      For EBS 12.0.4 i have two node one is for database 10.2.0.2.0 both are on RHEL 4.5 32 bit ,i want to shift database node from 32 bit RHEL 4.5 to another node 64 bit OEL 5.6 , application node should be on same node but should be redirected to new shifted database (from 32 bit RHEL 4.5 node to 64 bit OEL 5.6 node).How can i achieve it , any links or documents please.
        • 1. Re: Migration
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Follow the steps in this MOS Doc

Migrating Oracle E-Business Suite R12 from Linux 32-bit to Linux 64-bit [ID 471566.1]

Skip the steps referring to the application tier.

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Migration
            user13653962
            As the source database is on 10.0.2.0 but the prereq of this document says from 456197.1.

The original (source) database must be 10.2.0.3 or higher. See My Oracle Support Note 812362.1, Interoperability Notes: Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 with Oracle 10g Release 2 (10.2.0) to upgrade the database to the latest 10.2.0 patch set.

What need to do?
            • 3. Re: Migration
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              user13653962 wrote:
              As the source database is on 10.0.2.0 but the prereq of this document says from 456197.1.

The original (source) database must be 10.2.0.3 or higher. See My Oracle Support Note 812362.1, Interoperability Notes: Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 with Oracle 10g Release 2 (10.2.0) to upgrade the database to the latest 10.2.0 patch set.

What need to do?
              You need to upgrade the database to 10.2.0.3 or higher to migrate.

10.2.0.4 -- Interoperability Notes Oracle EBS R12 with Oracle Database 10.2.0.4 [ID 1135955.1]
              11.2.0.3 -- Interoperability Notes EBS R12 with Database 11gR2 [ID 1058763.1]

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Migration
                user13653962
                But why , is there any reason behind it , could it not be upgraded from my existing version 10.2.0.2.0 over RHEL 4.5 32 bit to OEL 64 bit.
                • 5. Re: Migration
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  user13653962 wrote:
                  But why , is there any reason behind it , could it not be upgraded from my existing version 10.2.0.2.0 over RHEL 4.5 32 bit to OEL 64 bit.
                  Because Oracle supports database 10.2.0.3 (or above) only to do this migration (database tier node only from 32-bit to 64-bit), so you need to upgrade to this version or above before you do this migration.

Thanks,
                  Hussein
                  • 6. Re: Migration
                    user13653962
                    thanks for it but above all documents relate to migration from Linux 32 bit to 64 bit , are the above documents process ok for migration from RHEL 4.5 32 bit to OEL 5.6 64 bit.

Edited by: user13653962 on Aug 11, 2012 2:40 AM
                    • 7. Re: Migration
                      Srini Chavali-Oracle
                      Yes - RHEL and OEL are both Linux OS's

HTH
                      Srini
                      • 8. Re: Migration
                        user13653962
                        In the document 456197.1 at step 2 it says as follows

Create the RDBMS ORACLE_HOME on the target machine

Install Oracle Database Release 10.2.0 on the target machine by performing all steps below.

Here question is target machine is 64 bit OEL 5.6 , so Intalling Oracle database Release 10.2.0 should also be 64 bit right?
                        • 9. Re: Migration
                          Srini Chavali-Oracle
                          Depends on what you want to do - you can install 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the database software. Your source is 32-bit database - if you install 64-bit software on the target database, you will need to perform additional steps as outlined in this MOS Doc

How to Convert a 32-bit Database to 64-bit Database on Linux? [ID 341880.1]

HTH
                          Srini
                          • 10. Re: Migration
                            Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                            user13653962 wrote:
                            thanks for it but above all documents relate to migration from Linux 32 bit to 64 bit , are the above documents process ok for migration from RHEL 4.5 32 bit to OEL 5.6 64 bit.
                            Yes.

Thanks,
                            Hussein
                            • 11. Re: Migration
                              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                              Here question is target machine is 64 bit OEL 5.6 , so Intalling Oracle database Release 10.2.0 should also be 64 bit right?
                              Yes, as there is no point in installing 32-bit ORACLE_HOME on 64-bit OS.

Thanks,
                              Hussein
                              • 12. Re: Migration
                                user13653962
                                I want to make sure that i will follow the following steps , could you please point out what am i doing wrong in the following steps?

Upgrading Phases*

Upgrading process has two phases for the EBS environment.

Phase 1 :     Upgrading database node from 10.2.0.2 (32) bit to 10.2.0.4 (64) bit.
                                Phase 2 : Upgrading application node from 12.0.4 (32) bit to 12.0.4 (64) bit.

Mainly we have two major steps for migration of ours existing database production machine from 32 bit to corresponding 64 bit machine

Step 1  Source Machine (Production Database)*

On this phase we must have to take whole cold backup before doing any activity at Production Database.

Situation

We have Database version 10.2.0.2, Oracle supports database 10.2.0.3 (or above) only to do this migration (database tier node only from 32-bit to 64-bit), so we need to upgrade to this version or above before we do this migration.

Task

Upgrade Source database from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4

Action
                                -Production Application Server needs to be down for such activity.
                                -Applying Patch Set to move forward database from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4 at Production.
                                -Gathering Stats for sys schema.

Results
                                -Restart Production Application Node and make sure everything is going same as before.
                                -Check database version should be 10.2.0.4.

Step 2 Targeted Machine 64 bit (New Production Database)*

Situation

Installation of Oracle Database at Target Node (64 Bit OEL) using media for 12.0.4 64 bit for OEL 5.6

Task

-Installation of the EBS 12.0.4 10.2.0.2 on target node that was corresponds to the source database version on the source system (10.2.0.2) 32 bit (Install Database Software Only) and then move upward to 10.2.0.4, after that we will be able to migrate from source machine database 32 bit to target machine 64 bit machine.
                                -Post Migration Task (Reconfigure the application tier to connect to the target database machine)

Action
                                - on the target Machine Installation of OEL 64 bit with all packages and kernel parameters, perform the
                                -Install ORACLE_HOME (Just choose install oracle software)
                                - Install Companion on the target machine
                                -Upgrade to the latest 10.2.0 patch set on the target machine for 10.2.0.4
                                -Install Java Development Kit (JDK) 5 on the target machine
                                -Migration Procedure (This would require downtime at source machine which would be for cold copy dbf files from source machine to target machine).
                                - Reconfigure the application tier to connect to the target database machine

Results
                                -New database with version of 10.2.0.4 with 64 bit architecture

Problem here how would i move 32 bit existing apps 12.0.4 to corresponding 64 bit apps 12.0.4 on OEL.?
                                As well above steps are right so far or not? what i am doing wrong in this planning phase?

Edited by: user13653962 on Aug 17, 2012 4:47 AM
                                • 13. Re: Migration
                                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                                  Problem here how would i move 32 bit existing apps 12.0.4 to corresponding 64 bit apps 12.0.4 on OEL.?
                                  Migrating Oracle E-Business Suite R12 from Linux 32-bit to Linux 64-bit [ID 471566.1]
                                  As well above steps are right so far or not? what i am doing wrong in this planning phase?
                                  Looks OK to me.

Thanks,
                                  Hussein