3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2012 10:51 PM by user10253454 RSS

I'm setting up APEX Listener with Weblogic - WLS is on the middle tier

user10253454
      I am setting up APEX Listener with Weblogic - WebLogic is on a middle tier (another host other than the DB Server).

Install Documentation for this scenario - does NOT state what node you should be on when you run things like:

-- I ran the following on the database node/tier - should it have been run on the middle tier if I'm going multi-tier with WLS and Apex Listener?

sqlplus> @apexins SYSAUX SYSAUX TEMP /i/

-- what tier do I run the following on?

jar -cvf0 <temp dir> \i.war -C <apex directory\images .

-- if the jar command above is run on the middle tier - does that imply I should have done apexins command on the middle tier as well?
      -- the documentation then states from the Weblogic console - identify the location of the apex.war file... where's that?
      -- the jar command above deals with i.war not apex.war...

-- obviously using apex with WLS is multi-tier Oracle should be specific about what node these commands are too be run on - I don't like to guess - I need better than 50/50 odds

thanks Mike

Edited by: user10253454 on Aug 10, 2012 10:16 AM
        • 1. Re: I'm setting up APEX Listener with Weblogic - WLS is on the middle tier
          Udo
          Hello Mike,
          Install Documentation for this scenario - does NOT state what node you should be on when you run things like:
          I'm not sure I can really agree to that. Since you've chosen APEX Listener as a web server, you've probably read the sections [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23903_01/doc/doc.41/e21673/overview.htm#CJAFEAJJ]About Choosing an HTTP Server and [http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23903_01/doc/doc.41/e21673/otn_install.htm#BEHIFAJD]Recommended Pre-installation Tasks of the APEX Installation Guide. After that, you probably followed the [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23903_01/doc/doc.41/e21673/overview.htm#BABDDBIA]step by step guide through your installation. For starting the installation step you've referenced, the manual says
          Start SQL*Plus and connect to the database where Oracle Application Express is installed as SYS specifying the SYSDBA role.
          Which means: You can use any node that has SQL*Plus installed, preferably your local client where you've downloaded APEX to.
          Of course, you also have SQL*Plus on your database server, so you've succeeded in installing APEX.
          This brought you up to the [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23903_01/doc/doc.41/e21673/otn_install.htm#BABDDBFD]Step 6: Download and Install Oracle Application Express Listener. You have gotten to the point where you've decided to deploy APEX Listener onto your WLS. So I assume, you know how you deploy a web archive (war file) onto a WLS. If you don't, the APEX Listener Installation Guide contains the following tip:
          This section assumes that you have completed the installation process and are familiar with Oracle WebLogic Server. If you are unfamiliar with domains, managed servers, deployment, security, users and roles, refer to your Oracle WebLogic Server documentation.
          -- what tier do I run the following on?

jar -cvf0 <temp dir> \i.war -C <apex directory\images .
          If you understand how (and why) you deploy a web archive, you'll know that this step has to be done on the node where you've downloaded and unzipped your APEX and APEX Listener installation packages to, preferably your client machine. To cite the documenation:
          jar –cvf0 <temp directory>\i.war –C <apex directory>\images .
          Where:

<temp directory> is the directory location of the unzipped Oracle Application Express Listener file.

<apex directory> is the directory location of Oracle Application Express.
          Now, to answer your questions, if you're still unsure:
          -- if the jar command above is run on the middle tier - does that imply I should have done apexins command on the middle tier as well?
          No. You can run this command on any tier that has Java as well as your APEX and APEX Listener installation package. I'd recommend your workstation for that task.
          -- the documentation then states from the Weblogic console - identify the location of the apex.war file... where's that?
          I won't answer that question. Please start reading WLS documentation, otherwhise you won't get much further.
          -- the jar command above deals with i.war not apex.war...
          Right. WLS doesn't offer a kind of default context for static contents, so you'll either have to use the approach to bundle it into a web archive as documented in the Installation Guide. You can also configure a virtual-directory-mapping. There is a nice [url http://krisrice.blogspot.de/2011/07/apex-listener-wls-serving-static-files.html]video tutorial by Kris on that you can adapt to your scenario. If you use a clustered WLS, you need a network share for the virtual directory that is available on all WLS nodes.
          Deployment of apex.war is part of the step "Install the Deployment" that follows right after you've located your WLS console.
          -- obviously using apex with WLS is multi-tier Oracle should be specific about what node these commands are too be run on - I don't like to guess - I need better than 50/50 odds
          As you see above, it's even more than 50:50. ;)

-Udo
          • 3. Re: I'm setting up APEX Listener with Weblogic - WLS is on the middle tier
            user10253454
            Anyone wishing to follow along on my progress on this can do so and leave a reply on the following blog.

http://lonzodb.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/installing-and-configuring-oracle-apex-listener-with-weblogic-10-3/

While this might not be proper protocol to post this here, i'm taking that path.