This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2012 5:28 AM by 939520 RSS

Where to Start to Learn Java

O.Developer Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Dear All Java Profoessionals,

I am so far working in SQL/,PL/SQL -Forms and Report.

Now while continue on my work, i want to learn Java . But I do not know where to start.
Like if some one want learn oracle forms/report- first should start with SQl->Pl/SQL-> Forms/Reports.

Like I need to know the basic and move on ..

Kindly guide me to start with small steps.
  • 1. Re: Where to Start to Learn Java
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    i want to learn Java . But I do not know where to start.
    >
    Then why not start with The Java Tutorials?
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
    >
    The Java Tutorials are practical guides for programmers who want to use the Java programming language to create applications. They include hundreds of complete, working examples, and dozens of lessons. Groups of related lessons are organized into "trails".
    >
    There are tutorials with example code that cover all of the major areas. You can work at your own pace, slow or fast.
  • 2. Re: Where to Start to Learn Java
    RajeshAkavaram Explorer
    There are many online resources and books available to start with java leaning, among them the one i used when i started learning java is the Head First Java book by Kathy Sierra , below is the link for the book

http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Java-Kathy-Sierra/dp/0596009208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344808748&sr=8-1&keywords=head+first+java

You can look at the www.javaranch.com community which is dedicated for java code ranchers.....

Thanks,
    Rajesh Akavaram
  • 3. Re: Where to Start to Learn Java
    gimbal2 Guru
    Rajesh Akavaram wrote:
    There are many online resources and books available to start with java leaning, among them the one i used when i started learning java is the Head First Java book by Kathy Sierra
    A very good book, if you like to learn through puzzles and games. I could understand it if you want something a little less playful - the Amazon user reviews are a good indication which books people like and which they do not.
  • 4. Re: Where to Start to Learn Java
    939520 Explorer
    I always suggest reading a good book. I think if you put out good money to buy a book, you are more likely to read it from cover to cover to get your money's worth. You can also use it's index to refresh your memory on some topic you previously read when you are coding. Work though a lot of the book's examples. First on the command line until you're familiar with that, then install an IDE such as Eclipse when you're ready to work through the rest of the examples.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points