This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2012 4:57 AM by Dude! RSS

Oracle Linux 6 u3 Installation via FTP

739004 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
There is a need to install OS (Oracle Linux 6.3) via FTP. The installation process started fine, but after I'd finished with partitions layout and hit "next" on the window displaying "boot loader operating system list", error appeared.

the error: "Unable to read package metadata from repository. This maybe due to missing repodata directory. Cannot retrieve repository metadata(repomd.xml) for repository".

Ftp shared folder is OS iso file itself.
  • 1. Re: Oracle Linux 6 u3 Installation via FTP
    Avi Miller Guru
    Nick wrote:
    Ftp shared folder is OS iso file itself.
    Are you pointing at the ISO file or the contents of the ISO? In order to install via HTTP, FTP or NFS, you need to point to the contents of the ISO file, i.e. you have to copy all the contents into an HTTP, FTP or NFS location. You should then provide the path to the root of the contents, where the repodata folder is located.
  • 2. Re: Oracle Linux 6 u3 Installation via FTP
    739004 Newbie
    Yes I did copy everything from ISO file into FTP directory and Yes, I'm pointing to the content of the ISO file.
    And even if I explicitly specify path to the repodata directory (server/ or server/repodata (I've tried a lot of options)) it doesn't work either.
    The message pops up saying that the system is not be able to find *-primary.sqlite.bz2 file.

Edited by: Nick on Aug 11, 2012 3:04 PM
  • 3. Re: Oracle Linux 6 u3 Installation via FTP
    Dude! Guru
    What you are trying to accomplish is creating a local mirror of the software distribution. If you can't download from a mirror and you have the install DVD, copy the complete content and structure to a locally hosted HTTP or FTP directory.

As already mentioned, you need to specify the path to the root of the installation from where you can browse the "repodata" and "server" directory.

You can see what the installation is looking for by opening the repodata directory and analyzing "repomod.xml". This will show you the relative path and filename including the primary.sqlite.bz2 file.

Make sure all your files and directories in the installation root have world read and execute privileges (chmod -R 755 /install dir) and make sure your ftp server is setup accordingly providing the right FTP_HOME and permissions. Also, what is your FTP server, does it support Unix filenames or translate them?

You can probably try another machine use FTP to connect to the installation source and see if you can navigate inside the directories and get the files.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points