This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 12:36 PM by KellyMayfield RSS

Extended Attributes and Custom Sections

938167 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

When we update formulation specifications we are finding that the extended attributes and custom sections are not automatically updating in the ingredient output. Is this how the system is designed? Is it possible to get the ingredient outputs to update automatically?

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    Ron M Pro
    Hi Belinda,
    Which version of PLM for Process are you using? The Extended Attribute and Custom Section data are pushed to the ingredient output when you save the Formulation spec. Are you checking the ingredient output after saving the Formulation spec?
  • 2. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    Jessie C Explorer
    And also,please check what type of output it is. The system won't automatically update the 'Referenced' Output. thanks
  • 3. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    Segal Explorer
    I'm marking this as answered, but please let us know if you have any more quesitons on this topic.
  • 4. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    938167 Newbie
    Hi Ron,

We are using V6.0.0.4.26.
    I am checking the ingredient outputs after saving the formulation spec and it is not flowing through.
    I've tried to edit an approved spec and this doesn't flow through. I've also created a new copy, made changes and this doesn't flow through either.
    Could it have something to do with the fact that it is called Ext Data in formulation and Compliance in the ingredient output?

Thanks.
  • 5. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    938167 Newbie
    Hi Jessie,

All of our outputs are - External product.

I couldn't see a 'Referenced' output so not sure what this is referring to?

Thanks.
  • 6. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    Matt J Journeyer
    Belinda:

It's worth noting that EAs and CSs are only pushed from the output popup to the ingredient spec if in a workflow status that has the designable tag and the checkboxes for EAs and CSs are checked on the settings of the output popup. Then ext data will be pushed to the ing spec when the frm spec is saved.

to check your settings:
    open frm spec -> edit -> formulation tab -> open output popup -> settings -> what checkboxes are checked and can they be changed?

if they are greyed out, then you are likely not in a designable status.

thanks,

-M
  • 7. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    938167 Newbie
    Hi Matt,

I thought you were onto it but turns out we do have designable on and all the boxes ticked.

I just noticed that the changes are not flowing from the formulation spec to the output box and I guess therefore it is not flowing into the ingredient output spec. So the link is missing from formulation to output popup.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks.
  • 8. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    Matt J Journeyer
    ah, that's the problem. ext data is not rolled up from the formulation spec to the output popup and thus the ingredient spec. only distinct EAs from the inputs are rolled up and eventually pushed to the ing spec.
  • 9. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    938167 Newbie
    Thanks Matt,

Does thiis mean that we have to have every single test we complete at formulation level in the ingredient specs? I tried this in our sandpit but this still didn't work.
    When you say "distinct" does this mean distinct had to be selected when we set up the EAs. We were told never to make them distinct therefore none of ours are!!

Thanks.
  • 10. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    KellyMayfield Expert
    Hey Belinda,

Can you provide a more detailed scenario of what you are trying to accomplish?

For example,
    If extended attribute "Brix" exists on the raw material specification (in the simple extended attributes grid or inside a custom section) and is tagged as "distinct" and "Is Design Attribute" on the Extended Attribute template in ADMN then anytime you use that raw material in a formulation "Brix" will appear on the Ext Data tab > Extended Attributes section of the output popup. When multiple raw materials contain the "Brix" extended attribute then the Brix value displayed on the output popup will be calculated by the system.

A few key points that may be causing your problem:
    1. Custom Sections on the raw material are not automatically pulled and placed on the output popup. Only distinct attributes are pulled out and placed in the simple attributes grid on the output popup.

2. Custom data is not pulled from raw materials and placed onto the formulation specification > ext data tab. Calculation of theoretical values only occurs on the output popup

3. When an input is used inside a formulation we take a snapshot of that material, this allows you to perform "what if" scenarios. If changes are made to the raw material (for example an extended attribute was added or a nutrient value was edited), the formulation specification must be refreshed so it will pull the new updated values.

Version 6.1.0.x allows for specification templates that will help with the auto creation of custom data on the formulation specification, output popup and output material specification.

Thanks
    Kelly

Edited by: user754372 on Oct 16, 2012 10:12 AM
  • 11. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    938167 Newbie
    Hi Kelly,

Basically what we have done is added tests in extended attributes and custom sections that are specific to formulation level. So in essence these tests tell operations how to manufacture the product and what test results they should get on the finished product. These tests are irrelevant at raw material level and are not entered here.
    My problem is when we update the EAs and CSs in the formulation spec this doesn't flow through to the ingredient output. Operations are sometime viewing the ingredient output for a product and of course this information hasn't been updated and is wrong. It's causing a lot of confusion because we have two sets of different data for the one product when they should be the same.
    Is there any way we can get the formulation updates to flow through to the ingredient output so all our specification parameters are the same for the one product?

Thanks.
  • 12. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    KellyMayfield Expert
    To get the test information to the output material you'll need to add those sections and attributes to the external output of the formulation instead of the ExtData tab on the formulation specification. Sections you add to the "external" output popup will push to the output material specification when the formulation is in a designable state and saved. This way all of the product data is with the product you produced.

In 6.1.0.x you are also able to use templates to pre-populate the sections for external outputs so users won't have to remember to manually add the sections.
  • 13. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    938167 Newbie
    Thanks Kelly,

I've had a look and yes I can update the formulation output popup and it flows into the ingredient output. As our EAs and CSs are already in the formulation ext data, is it possible for this data to link to the output pop up and then this automatically flows to the ingredient output. Is this something Verdant could help us with? There is a lot of data in our formulation ext data tab and would be a lot of work to manually move it.

Thanks,
    Belinda
  • 14. Re: Extended Attributes and Custom Sections
    KellyMayfield Expert
    Verdant definitely should be able to help you with this task.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points