This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2012 11:06 AM by 732674 RSS

JSF Show Print Dialog on Client Side for Server Print

732674 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Is there a way to show the client user a print dialog box for a print job that would be completed on the server side.

The reason for this is we have a batch of jasper reports that need to be printed. However to ease the burden of sending out these mailers we need to send the top sheet with the address to the printer then send the main report and repeat this process for all reports. This allows us to have the copier staple the main report separate of all other sheets.

If anyone can think of a different way to do this that I am not thinking of I appreciate that too.
  • 1. Re: JSF Show Print Dialog on Client Side for Server Print
    gimbal2 Guru
    Server side you would handle printing through the Print API. The 'dialog' you refer to is the print dialog the browser (on the client) would popup to be able to print content of the browser to a printer on the client machine.

The two things you are talking about are totally unrelated. If you want to show some dialog that will contain settings to be able to print stuff through the server, build one.

DISCLAIMER: or I'm not understanding your problem description of course.
  • 2. Re: JSF Show Print Dialog on Client Side for Server Print
    732674 Newbie
    Gimbal2. Thank you. You have that correct. I knew they were separate, but didn't know if some had created a framework or something for dealing with this.

I will work on a separate page that gives the user the option.

Thank you

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points