This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2012 2:06 AM by Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle RSS

Weblogic Clustering - Architecture Design Clarification

955899 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Currently our client is using Forms 6i in Character Line Interface (CLI). Users will login to the Solaris Server, through putty or telnet, where Forms 6i executables are located, and they will run the application from putty/telnet session. Around 2500 concurrent users will login to the system, so 2500 unix sessions will be opened for them. top (prstat) command shows, around 25MB is utilized by each session.

Client is planning to upgrade Forms 6i to 11g. So they are moving from CLI to GUI (2 layer to 3 layer).

We have 2 data centers which are 100KM (around 60 Miles) apart. So we are planning to have host machines in both data center, for failover.

Now my questions are.
1. Can I have one host machine each in both data centers, with 64GB RAM, 16 CPU capacity (So a total of 2 host machines in 2 different data centers with identical capacity). We will install weblogic 10.3.6 in both machines, and will have an External LoadBalancer, splitting the user request to either of the weblogic server. Will this configuration would be good enough for performance and fail over?

2. If point 1 is not good, will clustering the weblogic server within same host machine, be a good idea? In that case I will have one external global load balancer, and 2 local load balancer will be needed?

3. If above 2 points are not good, I will have 2 host machines each in both data centers, with 64GB RAM, 16 CPU capacity each. Weblogic server will be clustered in with data center. One external global load balancer, and 2 local load balancer will split the the user requests to either cluster and within the cluster. Will this configuration would be good enough for performance and fail over?

4. Almost same configuration as of point 3, but Weblogic will be cross clustered. ClusterA in datacenter A and clusterB in datacenter B, ang they will be cross clustered.

Could anyone help me to understand, which configuration would be good? If you have any other configuration, which suits my application, could you please share.

Thanks in Advance,
GNT.
  • 1. Re: Weblogic Clustering - Architecture Design Clarification
    Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle Expert
    Hi,

1. Can I have one host machine each in both data centers, with 64GB RAM, 16 CPU capacity (So a total of 2 host machines in 2 different data centers with identical capacity). We will install weblogic 10.3.6 in both machines, and will have an External LoadBalancer, splitting the user request to either of the weblogic server. Will this configuration would be good enough for performance and fail over?

This is not possible as we cannot give one Host Machine for two or more data centers.

2. If point 1 is not good, will clustering the weblogic server within same host machine, be a good idea? In that case I will have one external global load balancer, and 2 local load balancer will be needed?

3. If above 2 points are not good, I will have 2 host machines each in both data centers, with 64GB RAM, 16 CPU capacity each. Weblogic server will be clustered in with data center. One external global load balancer, and 2 local load balancer will split the the user requests to either cluster and within the cluster. Will this configuration would be good enough for performance and fail over?

This can be possible. and try to increase cluster members to improve the performance.

Note If you do not to have multiple cluster you can configure single cluster as it is logical one only and place multiple node with in same cluster.

4. Almost same configuration as of point 3, but Weblogic will be cross clustered. ClusterA in datacenter A and clusterB in datacenter B, ang they will be cross clustered.

Hope I address your query.

Regards,
    Kal
  • 2. Re: Weblogic Clustering - Architecture Design Clarification
    955899 Newbie
    Hi Kal,

Thanks for replying. Let me explain my queries once again.

1. Can I have one host machine in one data center A and another machine in data center B each with 64GB RAM, 16 CPU capacity. We will install weblogic 10.3.6 in both machines, and will have an External LoadBalancer, splitting the user request to either of the weblogic server. Will this configuration would be good enough for performance and fail over?
  • 3. Re: Weblogic Clustering - Architecture Design Clarification
    Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle Expert
    Hi,

Yes this configuration is good enough and coming to performance will tune based on the load and number of users.

Regards,
    Kal

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points