4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2013 10:10 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

Best Practice E-Business 12.1.3/11gR2 Hardware Configuration

Hi
      We are in the design phase for a new install of E-Business 12.1.3 / 11gR2

From a hardware services point, what is deemed to be the "best practice"?

Option 1
      1 x Web/Forms Node
      1 x Concurrent Manager Node
      1 x Database ode

Option 2
      1 x web/forms/concurrent manager node
      1 x database node

Option 3
      1 x web/forms/concurrent manager/database node

In the past I have always gone with Option 2 so that the database traffic is minimised between conc managers / database. That to me seemed most logical. But wanted to ask the oracle community about their thoughts

We are using redhat linux / Cisco Blades (USC/VMWARE) and all connecting to a NetApp FAS3270.

PLease advise if you pick this up.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Best Practice E-Business 12.1.3/11gR2 Hardware Configuration
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

Option 1
          1 x Web/Forms Node
          1 x Database ode

Option 2
          1 x database node

Option 3

In the past I have always gone with Option 2 so that the database traffic is minimised between conc managers / database. That to me seemed most logical. But wanted to ask the oracle community about their thoughts

We are using redhat linux / Cisco Blades (USC/VMWARE) and all connecting to a NetApp FAS3270.

I second you about Option 2 (as long as you have sufficient resources on that node). If not (or if you have an additional server that you utilize) then I would go with Option 1 which would give you the chance to implement PCP later (Use node1 and node 2 to run PCP).

I would never suggest Option 3 for Production/UAT even if you have sufficient resources on one server.

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: Best Practice E-Business 12.1.3/11gR2 Hardware Configuration
            Exactly what I was thinking but its nice to get someone elses clarity too.
            The PCP option is certainly something I need to take into consideration - but with the new abilities of 12.1.3 cloning processes - it would be easy enough to split the admin Conc Nodes away at a later date should the requirement exist.

i.e.
            Initially have 1 x forms/web server plus 1 x database / concurrent manager node

If we need to go to PCP and / or forms load balancing

we could easily go to 2 x forms / web server and add the Conc Node into it brining in PCP too.
            I have to admist, the way Oracle have sorted the cloning process is 12 is very good indeed.

Do you agree?
            You seem to be pretty active on this forum - I am new to this

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
            • 3. Re: Best Practice E-Business 12.1.3/11gR2 Hardware Configuration
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Exactly what I was thinking but its nice to get someone elses clarity too.
              The PCP option is certainly something I need to take into consideration - but with the new abilities of 12.1.3 cloning processes - it would be easy enough to split the admin Conc Nodes away at a later date should the requirement exist.

i.e.
              Initially have 1 x forms/web server plus 1 x database / concurrent manager node

If we need to go to PCP and / or forms load balancing

we could easily go to 2 x forms / web server and add the Conc Node into it brining in PCP too.
              I have to admist, the way Oracle have sorted the cloning process is 12 is very good indeed.

Do you agree?
              I totally agree :)

You just need to run preclone on the source apps tier node, then copy the files to the second node (add new node), and run adcfgclone.pl/adaddnode.pl scripts.

Cloning Oracle Applications Release 12 with Rapid Clone [ID 406982.1] -- Option 3: Adding a New Node to an Existing System
              You seem to be pretty active on this forum - I am new to this
              Welcome to the forums.

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Best Practice E-Business 12.1.3/11gR2 Hardware Configuration
                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                953001 wrote:
                Hi

Option 1
                1 x Web/Forms Node
                1 x Database ode

Option 2
                1 x database node

Option 3

Thanks
                It depends on the resources you have on each server and on your budget. I would generally go with Option 2 if Option 1 is not in the list, but if Option1 is available for me I would go with it.

Thanks,
                Hussein