2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 2:12 PM by 956015 RSS

Question about autoupdate

Hi,

I have a question about java autoupdate. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and I read that there is no autoupdate support. But I occasionally receive a java update alert that does nothing when I click on the update button. I noticed that my Java is on update 27 which is a very old version, the current being 33. I recently received a warning from firefox that said "Firefox has found out that Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U31 6.0.310.5 is causing stability or security problems." It then blocked that plugin.

I was wondering if these updates are malicious? Should I be getting them if I'm running the 64 bit version of Java? Plus nothing seems to happen when I click on them.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Question about autoupdate
          tschodt
          953012 wrote:
          I have a question about java autoupdate. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and I read that there is no autoupdate support. But I occasionally receive a java update alert that does nothing when I click on the update button. I noticed that my Java is on update 27 which is a very old version, the current being 33. I recently received a warning from firefox that said "Firefox has found out that Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U31 6.0.310.5 is causing stability or security problems." It then blocked that plugin.

I was wondering if these updates are malicious? Should I be getting them if I'm running the 64 bit version of Java? Plus nothing seems to happen when I click on them.
          I guess you are talking about
          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u5-relnotes-1653274.html

If SE 6 U31 6.0.310.5 is giving you problems uninstall it (and optionally install the latest Java 6 (update 34)).

What Java 7 update do you have installed now?
          • 2. Re: Question about autoupdate
            Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I'm not aware of any Java 7 installation that I have. As far as I can tell from the java control panel I have Java 6 installed with update 27. I have since installed update 33 manually (downloaded it from the website).

The thing is I'm getting these update notices that do nothing when I click on them and since the 64 bit version of Java 6 doesn't even support auto-update (at least from the java control panel) I was wondering why I'm even getting these.

Also would install Java 7 instead be a good idea?

Thank you again.