3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 6:44 PM by 801904 RSS

Oracle 10g/11g database use on UEK versus Red Hat kernel? How widely used?

Greetings

is there any official or semi-official information regarding how widely used is Oracle UEK to run Oracle 10g/11g database (RAC or single-node) versus running Oracle database on Red Hat Linux or on Oracle Linux with Red Hat kernel ?

I am asking because at my customer site there is a perception that Red Hat (or Oracle Linux with Red Hat kernel) is much more widely used in production to run Oracle 10g/11g database and therefore it will provide better stability even if the performance may be somewhat reduced compared to Oracle UEK option.

So I need some sort of approximate percentage numbers of how well is UEK used in Linux Oracle community to run Oracle 10g/11g databases.

Many thanks.
      Yuri B
        • 1. Re: Oracle 10g/11g database use on UEK versus Red Hat kernel? How widely used?
          Avi Miller-Oracle
          yurib wrote:
          is there any official or semi-official information regarding how widely used is Oracle UEK to run Oracle 10g/11g database (RAC or single-node) versus running Oracle database on Red Hat Linux or on Oracle Linux with Red Hat kernel ?
          There is no way for us to accurately tell what kernel our customers use. However, almost all of our engineered systems use the UEK, which includes Exadata (X2-8 with X2-2 shortly), Exalytics, Exalogic, Big Data Applicance and the Database Appliance. We know that more and more of our non-Exa customers are shifting the UEK (or UEK2) each day, but I don't have any specific numbers.
          • 2. Re: Oracle 10g/11g database use on UEK versus Red Hat kernel? How widely used?
            Catch-22
            The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. Well, in my opinion, a higher market share does not reflect the quality or reliability of a product. Take MS Windows for example. Unfortunately, the reason for success is often not due to knowledge and experience, but rather due to fear and sheep effect or herd behavior.

Perhaps you can use other arguments or questions to help you to make a decision, eg.:

Oracle has a better understanding of what Oracle products require than Red Hat.
            Oracle takes full responsibility for the OS and Database, no finger pointing.
            Oracle tries to provide a better product than the RHEL kernel.
            The Oracle UEK kernel contains Oracle driver software, not available for RHEL 6 or later.
            Oracle updates are free of charge, RHEL requires a subscription.
            Oracle as a company is about 20 times bigger than Red Hat.

There can be reasons that require the use of the original RHEL kernel, for instance if the vendor of a specific driver for your hardware demands it. But otherwise...
            • 3. Re: Oracle 10g/11g database use on UEK versus Red Hat kernel? How widely used?
              thank you Avi and Dude.
              Good feedback.
              Cheers.
              Yuri.