This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 5:08 AM by Sergiusz Wolicki (Oracle) RSS

Conversion of national character set AL16UTF16 to UTF8.

954827 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Experts...

Actually I had posted a thread before that I need to convert characterset from WE8MSWIN1252 TO AL32UTF8.

Re: Migration of character set from WE8MSWIN1252 to AL32UTF8

Based on the suggestions posted by experts I had studies docs and preferred csscan and csalter method.

At the csalter, alteration was unsucessful showing problem is that national characterset cannot be converted.

Displayed finally alteration of character set was unsuccessful.

Can anyone please help me out how to change the NATIONAL CHARACTER SET FROM AL16UTF16 to UTF8.

Thanks in advance for the help

Nithesh Raj.
  • 1. Re: Conversion of national character set AL16UTF16 to UTF8.
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl post the exact error message that the csalter code produced.

Are you using any NCHAR, NVARCHAR2 or NCLOB datatypes ? The national characterset is only used for these datatypes.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25789/tablecls.htm#CNCPT1825

How big is the database ? How much down time can you afford ?

One simple option is a full export, drop the database, re-create the database with the appropriate charactersets, followed by a full import.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10729/ch11charsetmig.htm#CEGCHGIJ

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Conversion of national character set AL16UTF16 to UTF8.
    954827 Newbie
    Sorry that is not actually an error, it shows a message like this

"Checking or Converting phase did not finish successfully

No database (national) character set will be altered

CSALTER finished unsuccessfully"

At Present, character datatype for nchar character set is varchar2.However, I need actually it to be nvarchar how can it be changed??

Database is about 4.5GB which is a complex data, I just can't go with import,drop and re-create the database which no doubt gives me tons of errors which I can't handle.

So could you please tell me how can I do that.

Nithesh Raj
  • 3. Re: Conversion of national character set AL16UTF16 to UTF8.
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl clarify what you mean by your statement with an example

"At Present, character datatype for nchar character set is varchar2.However, I need actually it to be nvarchar how can it be changed??"

What do you want to change and why ?

HTH
    Srini
  • 4. Re: Conversion of national character set AL16UTF16 to UTF8.
    Sergiusz Wolicki (Oracle) Expert
    There is no reason to touch the national (NVARCHAR2) character set, if you want to change the database (VARCHAR2) character set. csalter.plb will not touch the national character set unless you unnecessarily scanned the national data types by specifying the parameter TONCHAR. If you just want to change the database character set, drop the CSMIG schema, recreate it and scan the normal character columns by specifying TOCHAR only. Then, csalter.plb will not complain about the national character set anymore.

-- Sergiusz

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points