1 Reply Latest reply: May 30, 2013 12:31 AM by Padmaraj Pj-Oracle RSS

x4600 disk problem

Hi,
      I have an X4600M2 server having one internal hard disk drive on which I have installed Windows server2003, for redundancy i have purchased another disk of same size to make a raid 1 volume on both disks, my question is :
      can I make a volume on these 2 disks without loosing my OS configuration on the initial disk? is there any raid manager software that i can install on windows to do that?
      as I know on the X server, after BIOS there is a sequence key that you have to press to configure volumes on internal disks, but I remember that I have to clear any old configuration to start with a new volume, true?
      thank you
        • 1. Re: x4600 disk problem
          Padmaraj Pj-Oracle
          Hello ,

Please refer to the following MOS document -

Linux and Windows RAID Monitoring Tools for LSI Based AMD Sun Fire[TM] X4100, X4140, X4200, X4240, X4440, X4600 and X4640 [ID 1005482.1]     

Some LSI cards allow to preserve the disk data - one possible method is

If you need to preserve existing data,

Control-C when prompted with the LSI bios to go into the LSI Logic Config Utility, Delete the current array.

Select SAS1064
          On this screen, make careful note of which drive is currently active and which one is failed. You will need this when you recreate the RAID volume.
          Select RAID Properties
          Select Manage Array
          Choose Delete Array
          Hit "Y" to "Delete array and exit to Adapter Properties"
          Wait for the deletion to complete.
          Choose RAID Properties
          Choose Create RAID1 Volume

IMPORTANT! Move to the line of the disk that was previously the active one. This will be the drive you start your volume with.

Move the cursor over to the "RAID Disk" column (it will say "[NO]" for its value).
          Hit the space bar to select it.
          Choose "M" to "Keep existing data, migrate to an IM array. Synchronization of disk will occur." This is the option that tells the LSI controller to keep your data.
          The Drive Status for this drive will now show "Primary" and the "RAID Disk" status will be "YES".
          Move the cursor over to the "RAID DISK" column for the drive that was previously failed. It will say "[NO]" for its value).
          Hit the space bar to select it.
          If this drive did have data on it in the past, you may get a warning saying that DATA was found on the selected disk. Hit Escape to continue.
          The Drive Status for this drive will now show "Secondary" and the "RAID Disk" status will be "YES".
          Hit "C" to create the array.
          Select "Save changes then exit this menu".
          Choose Raid Properties.
          You can see the status of the sync next to the Status field. It may take a few minutes for the status percentage to move beyond 0%.
          The drive that was previously failed should show a status of "Not Syncd" at this point until it syncs up.
          When the array is finished sync'ing, the status will be "Optimal"
          Once syncing has begun the system can be rebooted.
          ---------

Disclaimer - Please use at your own risk , I have not tested this myself and on the system specifed.

HTH