This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 8:30 AM by user157995 RSS

migrate OVM database XE to EE

rusted_planet Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We installed our environment in the included XE database for testing. Well the testing kind of got out of control and is near production and we would like to move it to a EE database. Is there any easy way to do this, maybe export/import, reinstall the application? I do not want to have to recreate everything we have already created in Oracle Virtual Manager and if possible little to no downtime.

Thanks,

Sean
  • 1. Re: migrate OVM database XE to EE
    user411446 Newbie
    Hello, I think the simplest way is to perform a reinstall of the VM Manager pointing it to a SE or EE database.

When you reinstall the VM Manager passing UUID (./runInstaller.sh --uuid YOUR_VMMANAGER_UUID) you perform a reinstall with NO downtime to your VMs and with minor further actions to be taken from VM manager: just rediscover servers and pool will be automatically rediscovered, same thing for networks. Storage need to be rediscovered and presented to servers from VM Manager in this way your existing repos will be displayed again.

Greets!!
  • 2. Re: migrate OVM database XE to EE
    BjornNaessens Newbie
    the steps to move from XE to EE/SE are pretty straightforward.

- stop ovmm
    - export the ovs scheme with oracle exp utility
    - create ovs scheme in new database
    - import the data
    - stop xe database
    - start ovmm
    - run ovm_admin tool with the modifyds option to change the repos.
    - restart ovmm

Don't forget to change the .config file aswell afterwards. I did this migration a couple of time at customers sites already. If any question, feel free to ask.

Since 3.1.1., you can also just install a new ovmm with the -u option like u897966 said. then just rediscover everything.

Edited by: BjornNaessens on Aug 16, 2012 9:26 PM
  • 3. Re: migrate OVM database XE to EE
    964586 Newbie
    Hi

I followed the exact same steps that you provided.

I made changes to the config file too and validated the changes . I could see that OVM is communicating with EE database now

But When i shutdown the XE database instance on OVM manager host .. It doesnt let me login to the ovm manager console

Please suggest something

Thank you

Arun
  • 4. Re: migrate OVM database XE to EE
    user157995 Explorer
    These oracle provided steps worked for us: pay special attention to the .config editing.

I. Backup Oracle VM Manager 3.0

Back up/copy the Oracle VM Manager configuration file located at
    /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/.config
    As the root user, shut down Oracle VM Manager:# /sbin/service ovmm stop
    Back up the Oracle VM Manager database OVS schema. Run the Oracle Database EXP utility to export the OVS schema. The following example shows how to run this utility on the local install of Oracle XE. If you are using an Oracle Standard or Enterprise Edition on the local host, or on a remote computer, you should consult your Oracle Database documentation for the appropriate method for your environment.
    Log into the operating system as the oracle user. You can su - oracle as the root user if you do not have the password for the oracle user.
    Run the following commands:export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe
    export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH
    export ORACLE_SID=XE
    exp ovsschema/password grants=y compress=y file=/location/ovsbackup.dmp
    The ovschema user in the exp command should be replaced with the name of your OVS schema; the default schema name in an Oracle XE install is ovs. Store the Oracle VM Manager database schema backup along with the Oracle VM Manager configuration file.
    Transfer the ovsbackup.dmp file to the host with Oracle Database SE or EE installed.
    II. On remote SE/EE host:
    1. (optional) If the new DB already has OVS schema. The following step drops the OVS schema and then re-created it for completeness:

[~honsu:oracle@ovs227 bin]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Fri Oct 28 17:06:56 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
    Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production

SQL> drop user ovs cascade;
    SQL> create user ovs identified by unittest1;
    SQL> grant connect, resource to ovs;
    SQL> exit;

2. Imported the dump:

[~honsu:oracle@ovs227 bin]$ imp ovs/unittest1 file=/tmp/ovs201_xe.dmp
    full=y

Import: Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on Fri Oct 28 17:17:23 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All
    rights reserved.

Connected to: Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit
    Production

Export file created by EXPORT:V11.02.00 via conventional path
    import done in US7ASCII character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR
    character set
    import server uses WE8MSWIN1252 character set (possible charset
    conversion)
    . importing OVS's objects into OVS
    . importing table "MGR_ABCSTORE" 46 rows imported
    ...snipped the importing table messages for brevity here...

Import terminated successfully without warnings.

III. Back on the Oracle VM Manager 3.0 host:

1. Edit the /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager/3/.config file:

Changed:
    DBHOST=localhost
    SID=XE

To:
    DBHOST=ovs227
    SID=SE

2. Stopp the XE DB instance using lsnrctl on the manager system
    3. Start the manager

/sbin/service ovmm start
    4. After the Weblogic server is initiated, run Oracle VM Manager Admin Tool to modify the Oracle VM Manager Data Store (OVMDS)
    # /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/bin/ovm_admin --modifyds SE ovs227 ovs unittest1

5. Stop the Manager and re-started it again to ensure that the core could contact the OVMDS properly at startup.
    6. Connected to Oracle VM Manager via the UI to ensure access using existing accounts.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points