7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 4:50 PM by 958808 RSS

Does Primavera update dates on multiple linked activities?

User711573-Oracle
      Hello -

When you have activities linked to each other and you change the date on one of the activities, does Primavera automatically change the date on the other that is dependent?

For example, there are two tasks linked:

Conduct training 23-JUL-2012 to 24-JUL-2012
      Implement system 24-JUL-2012 to 27-JUL-2012

If I change the date on the first task conduct training to July 25th, will Primavera automatically change the date on the implement system?

If so, can you tell me how to set it up, so it will do so?

Thanks,

H
        • 1. Re: Does Primavera update dates on multiple linked activities?
          ama
          Hello,

Within the Schedule Options (Tools > Schedule > Options...), there is an option to Schedule automatically when a change affects dates.

Hope this helps!
          • 2. Re: Does Primavera update dates on multiple linked activities?
            User711573-Oracle
            Thank you AMA!

Where do I find the scheduling options on Primavera P6 release 8.2? I don't have Tools > Schedule > Options. I didn't find it under Run Schedule>General>Scheduling Options. I am looking to set this up for every project so my users won't have to do this themselves under "scheduler". I hope you can help me!

Thank you in advance.
            Regards,

H
            • 3. Re: Does Primavera update dates on multiple linked activities?
              When you click F9 for scheduling (or from Tools), you can see 5 tabs on the right of the scheduling pop-up window -> Cancel, Schedule, View Log, Help and Options.

click on the Options tab and check the 4th option from the top to 'Schedule automatically...'.
              • 4. Re: Does Primavera update dates on multiple linked activities?
                User711573-Oracle
                Thanks!
                When I click F9 (no tools available) under activities on a project, 'Schedule Projects' pop up appears on the screen, it asks me for a data date and provides an "options" button. However, the options listed do not include "Schedule Automatically. They include:

Ignore relationships to and from other projects
                Make open-ended activities critical
                Use Expected Finish Dates
                Level resources during scheduling
                Recalculate assignment costs after scheduling
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                When scheduling progressed activities use
                Retained Logic Progress Override Actual Dates
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Calculate Start-to-Start lag from
                Early Start Actual Start
                Define critical activities as:
                Total Float less than or equal to
                Longest Path

Calculate float based on finish date of
                Each Project Opened Projects
                --------------------------

There is no schedule automatically option that will allow me to change the date on one activity, and make it cascade to subsequent activities. I am using Primavera P6 Rel. 8.2 web interface.

If you have additional suggestions, please advise.
                • 5. Re: Does Primavera update dates on multiple linked activities?
                  I am not sure I understand your question. Are you trying to change the actual date or planned ?

With the two example activities what change would you like to see exactly ? Do you want the start date of Implement System to change to 26-JUL-2012 when you change the start date of Conduct Training to 25-JUL-2012 ?
                  • 6. Re: Does Primavera update dates on multiple linked activities?
                    User711573-Oracle
                    I would like to change the planned start dates and changes cascade to subsequent linked activities. If we have two activities linked, like Implement System set to 23-JUL-2012 (2 days), and Conduct Training set to 25-JUL-2012; I would like to be able to change the date on Implement System to 09-Sept-12 and see the changes cascade automatically to Conduct Training and subsequent activities.

Today, I would have to update the start dates on each of my activities manually to see this change reflected. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but not sure how to correct it.

Please let me know if this is possible and how I should go about making this change.
                    • 7. Re: Does Primavera update dates on multiple linked activities?
                      If you have these activities linked together with a FS or other relation then, changing the date of the predecessor activity and rescheduling (F9) should change the dates of the successor automatically. Is that not working ?

Btw, how are you changing the planned date of the predecessor, using a contraint or what ?