This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 3:35 AM by Stephen Bell RSS

Remote debugging webstart application in Eclipse with dynamic jnlp (ASP)

937302 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

We've recently added JavaFX (7u6) support to our Swing web application. As part of this we've converted our application to use jnlp, which is generated dynamically via an ASP page.

The issue we're now running into is that we can no longer attach a remote debugger to our application. If I supply the debug args to the JVM in the java control panel, they get applied to both the Webstart JVM and our JVM, and while I can attach to the WebStart JVM (since it is the first one spawned), this is not what we need. We've tried putting them in the jnlp java-vm-args section, but again, we cannot connect. Finally, I have tried putting them in the JAVAWS_VM_ARGS environment variable, but this has also failed. Most examples I've seen spawn javaws directly and supply a path to a .jnlp file along with the debugging arguments, however for various reasons we cannot do this (ie. the applet params need to be generated on the fly).

Has anyone had any luck setting up remote debugging in Eclipse when the jnlp is setup dynamically as above? Any tips?

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: Remote debugging webstart application in Eclipse with dynamic jnlp (ASP)
    Stephen Bell Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    Does it matter that the JNLP is generated dynamically? Can't you download it anyway, then launch Web Start via the downloaded file?

wget http://.../foo.jnlp
    javaws -J-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,address=???,suspend=n foo.jnlp

You could try doing this in one command,

javaws -J-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,address=???,suspend=n http://.../foo.jnlp

I haven't had as much luck with that in the past, but YMMV.

I think the -J command line parameter and your JAVAWS_VM_ARGS are equivalent, if the latter is still supported, but -J is more modern. ;)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points