3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2012 12:45 PM by rpatti RSS

template vs notification rules

user9182826
      Hello

couple of questions about grid 11g

1 what happens when you apply a template to target ? does it overwrite exisitng out of box notification?
      2 are there any dependencies between monitroing template/ notificaiton rules? can i create rule to send out notificaiton for a codition(metric) that is not in the template?

thanks
        • 1. Re: template vs notification rules
          rpatti
          1. Applying a template changes the thresholds and drives when the system raise a critical or warning alert. The notification rules are independent of templates and drive what action we take when a critical or warning alert comes in. I am not quite sure what you mean by "overwrite existing out of box notifications" - but in general, templates and notification rules are related but independent as described above.

2. See above. You can always create a rule to send notifications for alerts on any metric. If the alert triggers - it will do what's requested.
          Of course, you need to set thresholds appropriately on the target to raise a warning or critical alert - either by directly changing thresholds or using a template.

Hope that helps.
          • 2. Re: template vs notification rules
            user9182826
            rpatti wrote:
            1. Applying a template changes the thresholds and drives when the system raise a critical or warning alert. The notification rules are independent of templates and drive what action we take when a critical or warning alert comes in. I am not quite sure what you mean by "overwrite existing out of box notifications" - but in general, templates and notification rules are related but independent as described above.

2. See above. You can always create a rule to send notifications for alerts on any metric. If the alert triggers - it will do what's requested.
            Of course, you need to set thresholds appropriately on the target to raise a warning or critical alert - either by directly changing thresholds or using a template.

Hope that helps.
            when I create notification I see all metrics even those which I haven't configured, why oracle displays those and doesn't hide them? a little bit curious because its misleading
            • 3. Re: template vs notification rules
              rpatti
              As I mentioned, templates and notification rules are independent.
              You can define rules on how I want to get notified when certain metrics trigger alerts. The act of changing thresholds to decide when to trigger alerts or not to trigger alerts at all is completely independent and can happen months later.
              Hope that helps.