3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2012 3:18 AM by 801904 RSS

presenting ASM disks from server in Prod datacentre to another server in DR

Hello everyone

The environment is * Oracle 11g R2 (11.2.0.3) on Oracle Linux 6.x UEK, X86-64-bit, Oracle Grid and ASM 11.2, note: that RAC and Data Guard are not used at present *

I have a Prod server with database located on 4 ASM Disk Groups (located on 10 ASM disks) and I have identical DR server (i.e. has the same Oracle/Linux software installed on both servers).

I have mirrored all Prod data centre ASM disks to the DR data centre and now I need to present those ASM disks all to the DR server and start up the database there for DR (read only, just to prove that DR works ok).

Is there any Oracle documentation or any Oracle white-papers on the correct process how to do this, step by step?

All database files in Prod server , including all datafiles, undo, tempfile, redo logs, FRA, archived logs, RMAN backups, spfile, controlfiles,etc are located on ASM and the Prod copies of all ASM disks/groups were taken consistently using SAN vendor disk snapshot technology.

Additional question - can this database be started on DR server with a different name and how? Can I start it up first in DR and them rename it after? or rename it prior to starting up in DR ?

Many thanks for any tips or doc pointers.

Yuri
        • 1. Re: presenting ASM disks from server in Prod datacentre to another server in DR
          berx
          Hi Yuri,

I don't know of any whitepaper, but I also have not searched for this topic recently.
          Still I will try to answer some questions.

* as you have copies of your ASM-Disks on your DR side, you just make these visible to your linux-box and make sure the permissions of the devices are set correct. there is no need (from ASM-side) to fiddle with device-names, but maybe it's easier for admins. In general, you can mimk the setup of your production system without any problems. You can start ASM on your DR side and it should find the disks, you should be able to mount the diskgroups.

* You can start the instances with the same spfile you used on your primary side. (make sure all log-directories etc are really the same)

* I am not sure what you are asking by different name ? You can set any ORACLE_SID you want. If you want to change the DBNAME you can use nid [1]. You can change the DB_UNIQUE_NAME in SPFILE, but this wil have some consequences on new created files in case you are using OFA.

hope this helps,
          Martin

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28319/dbnewid.htm
          • 2. Re: presenting ASM disks from server in Prod datacentre to another server in DR
            thank you Martin, helpful reply.

I will try this out in next few days and report back.
            • 3. Re: presenting ASM disks from server in Prod datacentre to another server in DR
              As promised - I tried it out, it was rather simple once disks were presented.

I needed to use srvctl to add the database, reconfigure tempfiles (we dont mirror those) and then i used nid utility to change both the dbname and dbid and finally make the spfile changes.
              All is well. Thanks.

The * alter database open resetlogs; * sqlplus command took a long time to run considering the database was crash consistent and had next to zero update activity to rollback/rollforward.
              Not sure why it took so long, perhaps it depends on the physical files of the oneline redo logs (reinit time?). It finished some 10-15 min later so no problems.

Yuri B