This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2012 7:25 AM by EdStevens RSS

getting 'trace' type output from asmca

EdStevens Guru
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle GI 11.2.0.2.0
Oracle Linux 5.6 x86-64

Another one for the "Gee, I've never seen this before"

Connecting to my server as oralce (ssh connection via putty) I fire up asmca, and after a short delay the GUI pops up just fine.
Connecting under my own credentials, I fire up asmca, and after a short delay the GUI pops up just fine. But during that 'short delay' I'm getting what amounts to a trace writing to my terminal. Here's an excerpt to show what I mean:
estevens:dwdev$ . oraenv
ORACLE_SID = [dwdev] ? +ASM
The Oracle base remains unchanged with value /u01/app/oracle

estevens:+ASM$ asmca
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.139 CDT ] [UsmcaCmdLineParser.discoverRAC:239]  Cluster Existence Check
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.168 CDT ] [Version.isPre:465]  version to be checked 11.2.0.2.0 major version to check against10
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.169 CDT ] [Version.isPre:476]  isPre.java: Returning FALSE
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.173 CDT ] [OCR.loadLibrary:311]  
 Inside constructor of OCR
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.192 CDT ] [OCR.loadLibrary:319]  Going to load the ocr library
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.192 CDT ] [Library.load:188]  library.load
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.193 CDT ] [sPlatform.isHybrid:66]  osName=Linux osArch=amd64 JVM=64 rc=false
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.193 CDT ] [sPlatform.isHybrid:66]  osName=Linux osArch=amd64 JVM=64 rc=false
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.194 CDT ] [Library.load:264]  Loading  library /u01/app/oracle/11.2.0/grid/lib/libsrvmocr11.so
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.204 CDT ] [OCR.loadLibrary:321]  loaded ocr libraries
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.204 CDT ] [OCR.isCluster:959]  Calling OCRNative for isCluster()
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.207 CDT ] [OCR.isCluster:963]  OCR Result status = true
[main] [ 2012-08-23 08:42:23.207 CDT ] [OCR.isCluster:975]  Bolean result = false
There's quite a bit more, including a command and output of lsnrctl status.
Eventualy the GUI opens and works as expected.

I've examined the output of 'id' and find no anomolies. The oracle account has as its primary group 'oinstall', while my primary group is the same as my username (default linux behavior) but I also have oinstall as a secondary group membership.

I've examined the output of 'env|sort' for both accounts immediately prior to issuing the 'emca' command, and find no anomolies. All ORACL_* variables are identical, all PATH type variables are the same

Thinking it might be related to a permissions issue writing to a log/trace file, I executed asmca as the oracle user, the immediately did a 'find . -amin 2' but turned up no log or trace type files.

Ideas?
  • 1. Re: getting 'trace' type output from asmca
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    I believe this debug/trace output is because the client software is run from a different o/s user than the executable (and ASM) owner. Access rights, environment and so on needs to be checked - something that is not needed when running as the owner of that specific s/w.
  • 2. Re: getting 'trace' type output from asmca
    EdStevens Guru
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    I believe this debug/trace output is because the client software is run from a different o/s user than the executable (and ASM) owner. Access rights, environment and so on needs to be checked - something that is not needed when running as the owner of that specific s/w.
    Billy,

I've already gone through the results of 'env|sort' for both users and found no differences beyond what would be expected (user's home directory, etc). Both users belong to the dba/oinstall/asmadm groups - only difference being the primary group.
    oracle:+ASM$ id
    uid=501(oracle) gid=501(oinstall) groups=501(oinstall),502(dba),503(oper),504(asmadmin)

oracle:+ASM$ su - estevens
    Password:
    The Oracle base has been set to /u01/app/oracle

estevens:dwdev$ id
    uid=530(estevens) gid=530(estevens) groups=501(oinstall),502(dba),503(oper),504(asmadmin),530(estevens)
    Permissions on asmcmd look good:
    oracle:+ASM$ which asmcmd
    /u01/app/oracle/11.2.0/grid/bin/asmcmd

oracle:+ASM$ ls -l /u01/app/oracle/11.2.0/grid/bin/asmcmd
    -rwxr-x--- 1 oracle oinstall 5469 Apr 21  2010 /u01/app/oracle/11.2.0/grid/bin/asmcmd

oracle:+ASM$
    So I'm not sure where else to look. Seems strange that it (asmcmd) would be written such that it would put out this output if it were being executed by someone with permissions just because they weren't the owner. Perhaps I should open a sev4 SR and see what Oracle has to say.
  • 3. Re: getting 'trace' type output from asmca
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Hi EdStevens,

This behavior is normal, this trace is showing on the terminal due your User (estevens) does not have permission to write in the default location of Configuration Logs directory. ($ORACLE_BASE/cfgtoollogs).

Is recommend launch Oracle Configuration Tools (as DBCA,ASMCA,NETCA,SRVCTL,ASMCMD and so on) with only User owner of the Oracle installation. I recommend it due a tons of files and directory of ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_BASE only user owner have permission of "RWX".

Check permission under $ORACLE_HOME/ and you will see most of directories without permission of write to OS Group.

I already faced some erros due try change (delete/write/read) files under ORACLE_HOME/ORACLE_BASE using Oracle Utilities with non-owner Oracle Software. So, I always apply this rule on my company, ALL Oracle Tools that change ORACLE_HOME (i.e configuration files), must be executed with Oracle Software Owner.

If you give permission to group oinstall (rwx) on directory $ORACLE_BASE/cfgtoollogs/asmca this trace will be written on Configuration Logs directory and will not show the trace on your terminal. I don't recommend do that,because you can solve problem of trace but other errors can be raised due wrong permission.

Hope this help,
    Levi Pereira

Edited by: Levi Pereira on Aug 24, 2012 1:09 PM
  • 4. Re: getting 'trace' type output from asmca
    EdStevens Guru
    Levi Pereira wrote:
    Hi EdStevens,

This behavior is normal, this trace is showing on the terminal due your User (estevens) does not have permission to write in the default location of Configuration Logs directory. ($ORACLE_BASE/cfgtoollogs).

Is recommend launch Oracle Configuration Tools (as DBCA,ASMCA,NETCA,SRVCTL,ASMCMD and so on) with only User owner of the Oracle installation. I recommend it due a tons of files and directory of ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_BASE only user owner have permission of "RWX".

Check permission under $ORACLE_HOME/ and you will see most of directories without permission of write to OS Group.

I already faced some erros due try change (delete/write/read) files under ORACLE_HOME/ORACLE_BASE using Oracle Utilities with non-owner Oracle Software. So, I always apply this rule on my company, ALL Oracle Tools that change ORACLE_HOME (i.e configuration files), must be executed with Oracle Software Owner.

If you give permission to group oinstall (rwx) on directory $ORACLE_BASE/cfgtoollogs/asmca this trace will be written on Configuration Logs directory and will not show the trace on your terminal. I don't recommend do that,because you can solve problem of trace but other errors can be raised due wrong permission.

Hope this help,
    Levi Pereira

Edited by: Levi Pereira on Aug 24, 2012 1:09 PM
    That would be it. oinstall (of which I am a member) has r-x, not rwx.
    I really have no need to change the permissions. I already have a self-imposed rule to do oracle work as oracle. But I happend to be logged on as me and wanted to just do a quick check of some values (no modifications) when I noticed this behavior. That, of course, led me on a quest for an explanation.

Thanks for the solution.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points