This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 11:50 PM by bigdelboy RSS

OCA schedule advise

952050 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I recently got the exam preparation guides for both 1Z0-051 (SQL) and 1Z0-052 (Administration I) exams and was taking a brief look at indexes to figure out time for preparing these exams.
I would like advice from someone that passed them about time taken to get ready for the tests.

I never worked as a database admin but have some database knowledge from degree course in IT. SQL looks more affordable to me and administration a bit more though.

Do you think that a couple or three of months of study and practising on a daily basis would be enough for each exam?

Regards,
Salva.
  • 1. Re: OCA schedule advise
    matthew_morris Expert
    SQL looks more affordable to me and administration a bit more though.
    I don't think that anyone would disagree with the statement that 1Z0-051 is a good bit easier than 1Z0-052, so I would definitely recommend taking it first. It will gain you familiarity with both Oracle and with the exam environment.
    Do you think that a couple or three of months of study and practising on a daily basis would be enough for each exam?
    Trying to figure out how long it would take someone else to study for an Oracle certification exam is an exercise in futility. I don't know how fast you read. I don't know how good your reading comprehension is. I don't know how good of a test taker you are. These three things (and many others) can vastly change the amount of preparation time from one individual to another. I will say that I am a speed reader (although technical books slow me down a bit), with a high reading comprehension and I am very good at standardized tests of all kinds. That said, I generally allocate four to six weeks to study for a new certification. I wrote an article on this topic here:

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Much-Time-Is-Required-to-Prepare-for-an-Oracle-Certification-Exam?&id=7204061

Given what you've indicated about your experience, I'd say that four to six months for the two is reasonable. 1Z0-051 will likely consume a bit less than half of that and 1Z0-052 a bit more. That said, while there is no problem setting a 'soft' time frame for taking the tests (i.e. a date you plan to take it), don't take the test on that date if you feel you still aren't ready. It makes no sense to take the test and possibly fail it simply because you want to meet an artificial deadline.
  • 2. Re: OCA schedule advise
    952050 Newbie
    Many thanks! 240 to 300 hours I get a rough idea as a baseline and having passed 20 tests that becomes wisdom.

Regards,
    Salva.
  • 3. Re: OCA schedule advise
    Tataji vijjapu Newbie
    Hey can you Please provide the link for exam prepration guides for 1z00-051 and 052....

Thanks
  • 4. Re: OCA schedule advise
    bigdelboy Pro
    Tataji vijjapu wrote:
    Hey can you Please provide the link for exam prepration guides for 1z00-051 and 052....

Thanks
    You can locate the topics and preparation information at http://certification.oracle.com

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points