14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2012 10:36 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?

Hi,
      We are implementing R12 and while the functional consultants do their config setups, I get regular requests to recompile/regenerate specific forms or forms in a specific module (GL ,AP etc) in regular intervals. After regenerating the forms the error goes away and resurfaces after a couple of days and i regenerate them again.

I want to know what is the root cause for these forms to get invalidated and is there any way to automate the regeneration of the invalid forms.

thanks,
      raj.
        • 1. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          We are implementing R12 and while the functional consultants do their config setups, I get regular requests to recompile/regenerate specific forms or forms in a specific module (GL ,AP etc) in regular intervals. After regenerating the forms the error goes away and resurfaces after a couple of days and i regenerate them again.

I want to know what is the root cause for these forms to get invalidated and is there any way to automate the regeneration of the invalid forms.
          Whenever you patch the system you may need to compile forms, or whenever new fmb files have been introduced or changed, forms compilation is required.

I do not think you can automate it and generating forms should be done on demand unless you write a shell script and schedule it to run on regular basis (assuming you are compiling same forms each time).

How to Generate Form, Library and Menu for Oracle Applications (11i and R12) [ID 130686.1]
          R12: How to Compile a Form in Release 12 [ID 1085928.1]
          How do I Generate Forms in R11i or R12? [ID 742617.1]
          How to Generate a Specific Form Through AD utility adadmin [ID 178722.1]

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
            Thanks Hussein. But my concern is it is happenning even when we have not applied any patches. Does any config or setup changes cause any invalidation?
            Also, if we apply a patch, i thought the patch should regenerate the forms and we do not need this to be done manually. Why do they get invalidated at runtime?

thanks,
            Raj
            • 3. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              955587 wrote:
              Thanks Hussein. But my concern is it is happenning even when we have not applied any patches. Does any config or setup changes cause any invalidation?
              Typically, it should not.
              Also, if we apply a patch, i thought the patch should regenerate the forms and we do not need this to be done manually. Why do they get invalidated at runtime?
              Correct, but if it happens and you have invalid objects that need to be validated then you would need to compile/generate all forms that use those objects. And, forms should not get invalidated at runtime.

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                What is the error that the consultants get because of which they request you to compile the forms ?

HTH
                Srini
                • 5. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                  Hi Srini,

Below are the errors:

"""I have the following error in the GL Journals form when I save a record:

Error message FRM-40735: ON-INSERT trigger raised unhandled exception ORA-04062.

Can you please recompile all GL forms, the form I encountered the error is GLXJEENT:

The above one is in AP"""

AND

"""The below one is in GL:

Invalid argument to LINE_SUM_FOLDER_ITEMS_GENERAL.D_SUM_DIST_TOTAL_RTOT_DB: EVENT='INIT'
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  FRM-40735: WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger raised unhandled exception ORA-20002."""

Both the above issues resolved after regenerating the GL and AP forms.

Thanks,
                  Raj
                  • 6. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                    """I have the following error in the GL Journals form when I save a record:

Error message FRM-40735: ON-INSERT trigger raised unhandled exception ORA-04062.

Can you please recompile all GL forms, the form I encountered the error is GLXJEENT:

The above one is in AP"""

AND

"""The below one is in GL:

Invalid argument to LINE_SUM_FOLDER_ITEMS_GENERAL.D_SUM_DIST_TOTAL_RTOT_DB: EVENT='INIT'
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    FRM-40735: WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger raised unhandled exception ORA-20002."""

Both the above issues resolved after regenerating the GL and AP forms.
                    Were the fmb files modified since the last time they were working? If yes, then this is an expected behavior and you need to compile/generate those forms (fmx files).

Thanks,
                    Hussein
                    • 7. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                      Nope. No modificatons at all. That's what worries me. Functional consultants keep entering the setups/configurations from the GUI and do their normal testing and one week it is ok and the next week/day these errors pop up. There is no patching invloved and the Functional consultants do not have access to the fmb files.
                      • 8. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                        Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                        955587 wrote:
                        Nope. No modificatons at all. That's what worries me. Functional consultants keep entering the setups/configurations from the GUI and do their normal testing and one week it is ok and the next week/day these errors pop up. There is no patching invloved and the Functional consultants do not have access to the fmb files.
                        Functional setup should not have any impact on the forms or the database objects.

Do you have any development happening at the same time this functional setup is done?

Is this happening in all environments or specific one only?

Is this instance (or instances) open to your functional consultants (i.e. do they have access to apps password or System Administrator or Application Developer responsibilities)?

Thanks,
                        Hussein
                        • 9. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                          Yep it is open. It happens on different forms in DEV as well as TST. Functional consultants have access to apps password /System Administrator/Application Developer responsibilities. Yes, there is some development activity also hapenning on the instances.
                          • 10. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                            Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                            955587 wrote:
                            Yep it is open. It happens on different forms in DEV as well as TST. Functional consultants have access to apps password /System Administrator/Application Developer responsibilities. Yes, there is some development activity also hapenning on the instances.
                            And, this explains why those forms got invalidated and need to be recompiled. If thise environments are not open and everything is controlled by the DBAs team then you would know when it is needed to compile/generate those forms which is the case in UAT/PROD.

Thanks,
                            Hussein
                            • 11. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                              So, what are the general activities which cause the forms to get regenerated other than patching? Any examples or pointers to any existing threads would be helpful to track down the issues? As usual it is always pointed to something to do with the OS and not functional and developers activities :-)
                              • 12. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                                955587 wrote:
                                So, what are the general activities which cause the forms to get regenerated other than patching? Any examples or pointers to any existing threads would be helpful to track down the issues? As usual it is always pointed to something to do with the OS and not functional and developers activities :-)
                                It is mainly about modifying the form itself (either manually by developers or by patching). Apart from that, there should be no more activities (for example, relinking is not required here). Having invalid objects that could be related would stop the form from functioning properly but this can be resolved by compiling invalid objects and there is no need to compile the form then. I do not think we have any threads that could be related to this topic, however you may search the forum and see if you get any hits.

Thanks,
                                Hussein
                                • 13. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                                  Thanks Hussien. Appreciate your response. The puzzling issue is i do not find any invalid objects in the database when these errors happen.
                                  • 14. Re: How/why do forms get invalidated in R12 environment?
                                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                                    You're welcome.
                                    The puzzling issue is i do not find any invalid objects in the database when these errors happen.
                                    Which is an expected behavior as having invalid objects would not invalidate the forms and does not require any forms compilation.

Thanks,
                                    Hussein