This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2012 10:15 PM by 794600 RSS

Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 or Java SE 7. Which one is better?

958818 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi I am new to this blog and would be really thankful if I could know which one amongst Java SE6 and Java SE7 certification is better. I was planning to take the SE6 classes and appear for the exam in a couple of months, but if SE7 is much better then I'd go SE7. Would be thankful if I could be guided well. Thanks
  • 1. Re: Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 or Java SE 7. Which one is better?
    bigdelboy Pro
    955815 wrote:
    Hi I am new to this blog and would be really thankful if I could know which one amongst Java SE6 and Java SE7 certification is better. I was planning to take the SE6 classes and appear for the exam in a couple of months, but if SE7 is much better then I'd go SE7. Would be thankful if I could be guided well. Thanks
    I offer you the choice a new car and a three year old car for the same money. Which one is better?

In general the newer the better, but there can be exceptions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by: bigdelboy on 09-Sep-2012 13:51

Mala Gupta points out below that Java 6 SE OCP requires one exam (IMHO as Java 6 SE OCA is not a required pre-requisite) whereas for JAVA 7 SE OCP the Java 6 SE OCA is a prequisite. So one now has 2 exams versus one. I did not cop onto this.

References:
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:JSE6Prog
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:OCPJSE7

So in car terms this is a choice between a twice as expensive new car or a three year old car ....

To get to Java 7 SE OCP from Java 6 SE OCP I believe there is a sinlge upgrade exam. ...
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=41&p_org_id=&lang=&p_exam_id=1Z0_805
  • 2. Re: Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 or Java SE 7. Which one is better?
    Roger25 Explorer
    If you offer me an Audi A6 from 2010 and one from 2007, i will chose the one from 2007 :)
  • 3. Re: Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 or Java SE 7. Which one is better?
    Venkadesh Raja Pro
    bigdelboy wrote:
    955815 wrote:
    I offer you the choice a new car and a three ear old car for the same money. Which one is better?

In general the newer the btter, but there can be exceptions.
    that's depends upon which car you offered ;)
  • 4. Re: Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 or Java SE 7. Which one is better?
    794600 Newbie
    Hi there,

Java SE 7 is the latest version of Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) exam by Oracle. Oracle states that they have raised the bar to pass OCP exam with their Java version 7.
    Let me compare OCP Java SE 6 and OCP Java SE 7 exams and list the major differences:

*1. Exam Topics*
    You can assume that the old OCP Java SE 6 has been split into 2 exams - OCA Java SE 7 and OCP Java SE 7. Java basics have been moved to OCA Java SE 7 exam and the advanced topics have been retained in OCP Java 7 exam.

Also, multiple topics have been added to OCP Java SE 7 exam, which were not included for Java SE 6 exam – Advanced class design, Java File I/O (NIO.2), Java DataBase Connectivity, Design Patterns (only 3 design patterns), Localization, new Language features in Java 7 (try with multi-catch, try-with-resources statements, String in switch statement, Underscores in numeric literal values)

*2. Pre-requisite*
    Earning Java SE 7 is a two step process. You must pass OCA Java SE 7 Programmer 1 (1Z0-803) exam to be eligible to write OCP Java SE 7 Programmer II exam (1Z0-804). There are no pre-requisites to write OCP Java SE 6 exam.

*3. Advantage of writing OCP Java SE 7 over OCP Java SE 6*
    You get to write the latest version of the OCP exam, which includes more topics. So you get to learn more and your certificate will support your claim of knowing the latest Java 7 (language) features.

Also, you earn two certificates in this process:
    Oracle Java Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer
    Oracle Java Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer

*4. Advantage of writing OCP Java SE 6 over OCP Java SE 7*
    You need to write only one exam.
    Fewer exam topics evaluate to less exam preparation time.
    Writing only one exam will cost you less than writing 2 exams.

With respect,
    Mala

[url http://affiliate.manning.com/idevaffiliate.php?id=1239_310]OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Certification Guide.

Edited by: Mala Gupta on Sep 8, 2012 10:14 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points