5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 3:04 AM by Catch-22 RSS

CAN'T ABLE TO STARTUP AFTER INSTALLATION

karthiksingh_dba
      Dear Legends,

I have a new THINKPAD EDGE430 COREi5 64bit WITH 8GB RAM AND 500GB HDD, am trying to install ORACLE ENTERPRISE LINUX 5.7 in this machine and then I have to install a VISION INSTANCE 12.1.1.

ISSUE
      ====
      1. After installation it asks for an restart and it has been restarted and i can see the starting flash screen and the naming "ORACLE ENTERPRISE LINUX SERVER 5.7" is being started, but after that i couldn't see any login screen or anything else.

2. So i have given a long press of my POWER BUTTON and made a restart for 3 - 5 times but the symptoms are same and each time i get a different colored screen such as green, white, blue and pink after the boot startup screen goes.

3. I couldn't proceed further to login.

4. At the same time I could see 2 options in the GRUB MENU loader at start such as (a) ORACLE ENTERPRISE LINUX.... and (b) ORACLE ENTERPRISE LINUX BASE...

5. Memory for crash kernel(0x0) (0x0) not within permissible range -- What does it means?

6. I have tried using both of the menu options but the result it same - no login screen or cant able to proceed further

NOTE: I have installed the same OS in another P4 and CORE2DUO MACHINES it works fine.

QUESTIONS
      =======
      1. Whether this configuration would be supporting OEL, RHEL 5?

2. Anyother OS will be working for this configuration?

3. Any drivers to be downloaded for this? since it is a FRESH one.

Any kind of help would be appreciated greatly
      Thanks a lot in advance
      Regards,
      Karthik Singh
        • 1. Re: CAN'T ABLE TO STARTUP AFTER INSTALLATION
          Catch-22
          A laptop is generally a bad choice for systems based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux since it is designed for professional server hardware. You can try to enter the a kernel boot parameter to see if your video hardware is incompatible with KMS:

Enter the grub boot menu, move the cursor to the kernel parameter line, press e and enter "nomodeset" at the end. Then continue to boot the system and see if it helps. It might be a better idea to use a supported host operation system and run Oracle Linux inside Virtualbox.
          • 2. Re: CAN'T ABLE TO STARTUP AFTER INSTALLATION
            karthiksingh_dba
            Hi Dude,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I thought the OS might be the problem but i think some VIDEO DRIVER or some thing should be enable into the BIOS. So i have re-installed RHEL 5 X86_64 but it also shows the same. as a try i have done pressing 'e' and it shows 3 parameters like

root (hd0,0)
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-128.el5 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet --> i have selected this one and pressed again 'e' and added "nomodeset" at the last
            initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-128.el5.img

but i dont know what it is happening to start? because even in my P4 which has 2GB RAM it will load faster but as soon as it starts the kernel to read some 2 lines and "MY SCREEN GOES SOMEWHAT CRASH" and the same colors are appearing either blue, white, pink and violet.

I have tried CHANGING
            1. DISPLAY MODE from LCD TO VGA -- VICE VERSA
            2. CHANGED AHCI TO COMPATIBILITY -- VICE VERSA

IS there anything else that i have to do? am searching for a VIDEO DRIVER which will support for linux. and found a link whether i dont know it will help or not http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/linux-bootable-cd-16.txt
            http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS025448

Please can anyone provide any solution which would fix this issue for me.
            Thanks a lot
            • 3. Re: CAN'T ABLE TO STARTUP AFTER INSTALLATION
              Catch-22
              You computer uses an Intel Sandybridge CPU with integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000. You could try to perform an installation in text mode and try to install the xorg-x11-drv-intel package from the elrepo yum repository http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php.

You may have more luck using Oracle Linux 6.3, which supports more modern hardware. But I think your best option will be to install any other 64-bit OS, like Linux Fedora or Ubuntu and use Oracle Virtualbox to run any version of Oracle Linux. The later will certainly work.
              • 4. Re: CAN'T ABLE TO STARTUP AFTER INSTALLATION
                karthiksingh_dba
                Hi,

Finally i solved my issue by configuring X - configure and the replacing the xorg.conf.new file into /etc/X11/ as xorg.conf and make a restart and typing startx i got my GUI.

nothing but configuring xorg is the thing i have to do.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Regards,
                Karthik Singh
                • 5. Re: CAN'T ABLE TO STARTUP AFTER INSTALLATION
                  Catch-22
                  nothing but configuring xorg is the thing i have to do.
                  Interesting but strange though because the default installation of Oracle Linux 5.7 installs a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Unless you change the hardware or install additional driver software, re-running X configure won't make a difference. Normally you also do not have to type "startx". So the question might be what did you install?

Under Oracle Linux 6 you don't have to create a xorg.conf file anymore, unless the default hardware detection is not working properly.